East Germany at the Olympics
The National Olympic Committee of the GDR from 1951 to 1990, the umbrella organization of Olympic sports in the GDR. It acted as NOK from 1965 until its dissolution in 1990, the interests of the GDR in the International Olympic Committee.
On April 22, 1951, at the Red Town Hall founded the National Olympic Committee for East Germany, but not recognized by the IOC, as even the re-founded in Bonn National Olympic Committee for Germany was recognized. Athletes from East Germany should participate in the all-German team under the leadership of the NOC for Germany, while the East German authorities in 1952 still stood on end. 1955, the NOC of the GDR was recognized by the IOC as an East German NOC at the 50th session provisionally subject to the condition that both NOCs have set up an all-German team for the Olympic Games in Melbourne in 1956. For the establishment of a common team in Melbourne and at the Winter Games in Cortina d' Ampezzo in the same year, awarded by the IOC Alberto - Bonacossa trophy the National Olympic Committee of the GDR received together with the National Olympic Committee for Germany in 1958.
The East German NOC changed its name in 1965 to the National Olympic Committee of the GDR. In the same year it was recognized at the session in Madrid by the IOC as the representative for the GDR and East Berlin, but under the name of East German NOK. Only at the IOC Session during the summer games in 1968 with effect from November 1, 1968 it was decided that the NOC in future DDR (or engl. GDR) hot and should pursue under the flag and anthem of the GDR.
First Secretary General of the NOC of the GDR was the former concentration camp inmate and worker athletes Heinz can. The NOC was decisively influenced by his longtime President Manfred Ewald.
Given the looming German reunification, a steering committee was formed, which first met in Berlin on July 9, 1990. There, in the Schöneberg Town Hall, the General Assembly of the NOC for Germany on 17 November decided that proposed by the Steering Committee amendment to the unification of the two German NOCs. At the same time decided the General Assembly of the NOC of the GDR in the Red Town Hall in Berlin that his statute should lose its validity and that no legal succession on 31 December 1990. It was followed by a joint meeting of both German NOCs in the Reichstag in Berlin and the union of the organizations in NOK for Germany, which initially (until end 1993) maintained an office in Berlin -Wannsee.