Unified Team of Germany
As an all-German team took athletes from the Federal Republic of Germany and the German Democratic Republic and in 1956 from the Saarland in three Olympic Winter and Summer Games in part:
The IOC recognized only in 1951 the company headquartered in the West National Olympic Committee for Germany in their entirety. Due to the claim to sole representation of the West German NOCs for all of Germany and because the National Olympic Committee of the GDR should not be equally involved in the formation of a German team, the representatives of non-recognized by the IOC NOC of the GDR announced in 1951, the agreement on a joint team to. In Oslo in 1952 and in Helsinki in 1952 Germany therefore approached only with West German athletes.
Only after the provisional acceptance of the GDR to the IOC an all-German team was formed for the 1956 Olympics. In this team were also athletes from the Saarland, which had not yet been incorporated into the Federal Republic and in 1952 was taken up even under its own flag in the summer of 1956. For the list of all-German team the National Olympic Committee for Germany and the National Olympic Committee of the GDR received two years after the games together, the IOC awarded by Alberto - Bonacossa trophy.
During the games from 1956 to 1964, the all-German team entered under the Olympic team abbreviation GER. This was shown differently on the modern Internet presence of the IOC in retrospect and arrears, as EUA was the case for Équipe Unifiée d' Allemagne, similar to the 1992 United team ( Equipe Unifiée ) EUN the former USSR to the then political situation into account to wear.
To the starting places in the all-German team found qualification fighting took place between the East and West German athletes. These were always highly competitive, even if travel restrictions made it difficult to competitions. For the Summer Olympic Games in 1964, more East German athletes could qualify as athletes from the more populous West Germany for the first time. The GDR therefore introduced in 1964 with Manfred Ewald the head of the pan-German Mission.
The IOC was 1965, four years after the construction of the Berlin Wall, the reality gradually separated the whole German team, so 1968 started on the Winter and Summer Games for the first time two German teams, but under the 1960 imported German Olympic Flag ( Black and Red Gold with white Olympic rings in the red stripes ) and with the same anthem, the song from the final movement of Symphony No. 9 by Beethoven, " joy, beautiful spark of the gods ".
In the official French and English reports of 1968 the crew of the Federal Republic of Germany is run as Allemagne or Germany, with the Olympic country abbreviations ALL ( for Allemagne, in Grenoble) and ALE ( for Alemania, in Mexico). The crew of the German Democratic Republic is called Allemagne de l' Est or East Germany, it is the abbreviation each ADE apply.
In the next winter and summer games of 1972 then attended ever, a team of German Democratic Republic and the Federal Republic of Germany. The FRG and GDR codes were not introduced until later, but are disclosed on the IOC website retroactive effect contrary to the reports.
Then in 1992 came the first time since the 1964 Olympic Games again a German team from the reunified Germany to the competitions to.
The term " all-German team " refers only to the common time between 1956 and 1964.