Template: Infobox city in Denmark / Maintenance / surface missing template: Infobox city in Denmark / Maintenance / height missing
Faaborg [ fɔbɔ ː ʔʀ ] (also Faaborg, dt: Foburg ) is a Danish town with 7249 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2013 ) in the south of Funen. It belongs to the Faaborg - Midtfyn municipality.
Faaborg is a port town on the Danish South Sea. On the northern edge of the city, the lake and the nature reserve is Sundet. The city is located south of the Svanninge, a part of a hilly nature reserve, the Fünschen Alps. South of the town of Faaborg is the Horneland Peninsula.
Faaborg is mentioned in 1229 AD for the first time in a document. The occasion was the gift of the town by King Valdemar ( Valdemar also the winner) to a Portuguese Princess Eleonore, (not to be confused with the eponymous princess who in 1452 married the Habsburg Frederick III. ) Probably married one of his sons. The city's name is somewhat unclear, but probably means Foaborg or fox castle.
Until the early 19th century, the hills were covered in the north of the city with Heather, while in the valleys agriculture was operated. As agricultural and livestock economy is no longer rewarded, forest was planted.
Culture and sights
The old town of Faaborg is one of the best preserved in Denmark. Of particular note are the free-standing bell tower of the old town church, which was abandoned and torn down after the Reformation in favor of the monastery church.
The Faaborg city gate is the only remaining gate of Denmark.
Very worth seeing is the 1915 inaugurated Faaborg Museum with the collection of the canner Mads Rasmussen with paintings and sculptures mainly Fyn artists such as Peter Hansen, Fritz and Anne Syberg, Johannes Larsen, Poul S. Christiansen, Kai Nielsen, and others. In addition to the permanent collection at the premises of the museum exhibitions of contemporary artists.
A few kilometers west of the town is the Hvedholm Castle.
The Skjerninghøj (also Skjerning Høj ) north of the village Svanninge is one of the best preserved megalithic sites of the Funnel Beaker Culture ( TBC ) on the island.
Transport and Infrastructure
By Faaborg the highway 8 of Tønder (German Tønder ) leads to Nyborg, also starts here the highway 43, which connects the city with Odense.
Faaborg is the starting point for ferries to the islands Ærø, Avernakø and Lyø. From 1965 to 30 June 1999 there was a ferry to Gelting in Schleswig -Holstein. About the southern Horneland with the Ferry Bojden Funen with the island of Als by the Ferry Fynshav is connected.
Faaborg was once a railway junction. Here the Odense - Nørre Broby Faaborg Jernbane met from Odense ( set in 1954 ), the Svendborg Faaborg Banen from Svendborg ( set in 1954 ) and Nyborg Rings Faaborg Banen ( 1962 passenger and freight transport in 1987 set ). In 1988, the section between Faaborg and rings, which leads through the Pipstorn, acquired by the museum railway Syd Fyenske Veteranjernbane that in the summer months performing the museum railway operations from 28 May 1992. 2002 drove the last train for the entire route, the trains then ended in Corinth ( Fyn ). 2011, the section between Corinth and rings was dismantled and is now used as cycling and walking. The former train station now serves as a central bus station.
Sons and daughters of the city
- Lasse Norman Hansen ( * 1992), rail and road cyclist