Frederic Vester studied chemistry in Mainz, Paris and Hamburg, was a postdoctoral fellow at Yale University, Saarbrücken and Munich and completed his habilitation in 1969 in biochemistry. He founded in 1970 the " Study Group of Biology and Environmental Frederic Vester GmbH" in Munich, after his death in " frederic vester GmbH" changed its name, which is funded by government and private sector consulting assignments ( since 2006 all projects and products Frederic Vester and frederic vester GmbH from Malik management Zentrum St. Gallen AG continued ). From 1982 to 1989, Vester Professor at the Department of interdependence of technology and society at the University of the Bundeswehr Munich, 1989-1991 Visiting Professor of Applied Economics at the University of St. Gallen. As an author and about his presence in the media Vester has made the understanding of the system and the "networked thinking" in German-speaking popular. Frederic Vester 's father, named after his mother, actress Saskia Vester. Frederic Vester was also one of the founding members of the Bund and was in German-speaking one of the pioneers of the environmental movement. At the same time Vester has practically applicable and widely employed management and developed as a practical tool and theoretical model for dealing with complexity with the computer-based sensitivity model Prof.Vester ® is a planning tool.
Relying on the cybernetics (or bio-cybernetics ) has Vester systemic ( "connected " ) thinking propagated, an approach in which the properties of a system are seen as a networked interactive structure. The individual factors reinforce or weaken other variables of the system ( feedback). These untrained ( "linear thinking" ) viewer confusing crosslinking can be analyzed using the methodology of model sensitivity Prof. Vester ® in several steps with software support and made tangible. In this manner, e.g. positive, self-reinforcing and negative, self-regulating feedback loops can be reliably detected. Influences are visible in their quality system and evaluated (eg, as a stabilizing, critical, buffering or sensitive to external influences, etc.). Through simulations, long-term or special courses of properties can be considered. On the basis of a so- developed model questions for meaningful intervention and control levers, future development or potential system improvements can be answered. Developed by Vester methods and weightings are " Prof. Vester ® Sensitivity Model " summarized, which is marketed in seminars and as a software and has been used since about 1980 in the part of extensive studies (eg Ford study future of the car, UNESCO - study metropolitan areas in the crisis). The idea of central in this approach influence matrix has been adopted by other authors in the priority matrix. The " Sensitivity Model Prof. Vester ®" is since the acquisition of the rights to all works Vesters Fredmund Malik " Malik Sensitivity Model Prof. ® Vester " continued and used worldwide in management and planning projects.
In his bestseller " thinking, learning, forgetting " Vester has been postulated that different types of learners ( learners ) (auditory, visual, tactile, verbal- abstract ) prefer different "channels". According to our own investigations Vester turned to a theory of learning biology, which describes the inherent characteristics of human beings when recording, linking and storing information. However occurred after Vester the four types of learning this model rarely as ideal-typical forms on, but mostly as mixed forms with main emphasis of assessment ( such as the audio- visual type). This classification is scientifically controversial, but has been rezipiert of educators in the German language on a large scale. " Thinking, learning, forgetting " is now with the 35th edition (2012 ) one of the ten best-selling books of the German paperback publisher.
Vester was recorded in 1993 in the Club of Rome. 1999 Vester's book " The Art of joined-up thinking. Ideas and tools for dealing with complexity " as " The new report to the Club of Rome " published ( currently 9th edition dtv 2013). In the book Vester summarizes its main findings and points to the approach and the broad range of applications of the sensitivity of the model in practical projects.
- Adolf Grimme Award 1974
- German Environment Medal 1975
- Author Award of the German Environmental Aid 1979
- Environmental Award of the city of Essen 1984
- Saarländischer Merit 1989
- Bavarian Environmental Medal 1992
- Munich lights 1995
- Honorary Medal of the Leipzig economic partnership in 2001
(Books, games, movies, multimedia)
- The cybernetic age, S. Fischer, 1974/1982, ISBN 3-10-087201-0
- Thinking, learning, forgetting - What's going on in our head before how the brain learns, and when it leaves us in the lurch, Original Issue: dva ( German publishing house ), Stuttgart, 1975;? Paperback edition: dtv, München, 1st Edition 1978, 31, 2007 edition, 33rd September 2009, 35th September 2012 ISBN 978-3-423-33045-9
- Phenomenon Stress - Where is its origin, why it is vital, so is he degenerate, dtv, München 1976/2002, ISBN 3-423-33044-9?
- Metropolitan areas in Crisis: From Understanding and planning of human habitats, study commissioned by the Federal Ministry of the Interior as part of the Environmental Research Programme, dtv, München 1976/1991, ISBN 3-423-11332-4
- Cancer - fail -controlled life ( with Gerhard Henschel). dtv, Munich, 1977, ASIN: B0028ICHOY
- New territory of thought - From technocratic to the cybernetic age, dtv, München 1984/2002, ISBN 3-423-33001-5
- A tree is more than a tree - a book window, Kösel, Munich 1985, ISBN 3-466-11050-5
- Balance of a Ver (w) Irrung, Heyne, 1986, ISBN 3-453-43090-5
- The value of a bird, Kösel, Munich, 1987, ISBN 3-466-11038-6
- Water = Life, A cybernetic Environment Book with 5 cycles of the water. Ravensburger, 1987, ISBN 3-473-35597-6
- Leitmotif networked thinking. For a better approach to the world. , Heyne nonfiction 109, 1990, ISBN 3-453-04020-1
- Exit future: strategies for tomorrow's traffic (including the results of the Ford study) Heyne, 1991, ISBN 3-453-03983-1
- Crash Test mobility. The future of transport. Facts, strategies, solutions., Dtv, Munich 1999, ISBN 3-423-33050-3
- Our world - a networked system, dtv, Munich 2002, ISBN 3-423-33046-5
- Attention in the classroom ( with Günther Beyer ), Quelle & Meyer Verlag, Aachen 2002, ISBN 3-494-01317-9
- The Art of Interconnected Thinking. Ideas and Tools for Tackling complexity. MCB- Verlag, Munich 2007
- The art networked thinking - ideas and tools for a new approach to complexity; The new report to the Club of Rome, DVA and dtv, München, 1st Edition 1999, 6 edition 2007, 9th edition 2012, ISBN 3-423-33077-5
- The Egg of Columbus. An energy picture book by Frederic Vester, ASIN: B002CAYRTG
- Sensitivity Model Prof. Vester ® (since 2006 Malik Sensitivity Model ® Prof.Vester. Software package Malik Management Zentrum St. Gallen AG)
- Ökolopoly. A cybernetic environment play in 1980 as a board game in 1996 as a PC disk, now under the name " Ecopolicy " on CD -ROM.
- Thinking, learning, forgetting; 3 -pc. Series, 130 mins
- Phenomenon of stress; 4 pcs. Series, 52 min
- New territory of thought; 2 -pc. Series, 135 mins
- Master of complexity; Interview, 55 min
- Climate change time bomb: a passage through the interconnection of the major environmental factors; Multimedia CD- ROM for Windows, 2007, Gazette - publishing GmbH, Munich
- Ecopolicy ® - the cybernetic strategy game; Instructional program in accordance with and above; (CD -ROM), MCB 's Publishing House, Munich, 2011, ISBN 3-939314-12-9 ( dt. / Engl. Multimedia CD -ROM for Windows, as a single or network version )