During his school years in cross- ford he practiced in drawings of school friends, put on nature studies, presented copies of the old masters Titian, Rembrandt, Rubens in oil paint here and dealt with van Gogh and Cézanne.
At the age of 17 years Muche left without school to school to study in Munich with Anton Ažbe at the private art school painting. After only one year of training, the rejected application to the Bavarian Academy in 1914 he went to Berlin and found contact with the group around Herwarth Walden's gallery "Der Sturm". The latter arranged in 1916, together with Max Ernst, an exhibition with 22 works for the young Muche. Even without any training, he was placed in the Art School was founded in September 1916 of the " storm" due to his outstanding abilities as a teacher of painting at. By 1917, there were more "Sturm " exhibitions with Paul Klee and Alexander Archipenko.
1918 Muche was called up for military and was in the throes of the end of World War II pacifist. After 1919, he was living in Berlin, he joined the November Group at the exhibitions he participated from 1927 to 1929. In 1920 he was appointed by Walter Gropius in Weimar, there to act as a champion for wood carving at the Bauhaus. 1921 to 1927 he was head of the weaving class, gave preliminary courses and directed in 1923 the Committee for the first Bauhaus exhibition, for which the model house was " Am Horn " designed and built. In 1925/26 he designed with the help of architecture students Richard Paulick the " Steel House Dessau ".
In 1927 he moved back to Berlin, where he private art school was until 1930 a teacher at the Johannes Itten. With Itten, whom he had met in 1916, it joined common philosophical and pedagogical ideas. They had already jointly sponsored the " preliminary course " at the Bauhaus to Itten's departure in 1923, but especially both followed the teachings of Mazdaznan, one based on the Zoroastrianism eastern cult. Between 1931 and 1933, he held a professor of painting at the National Academy of Fine and Applied Arts Wroclaw. In a decree of Joseph Goebbels on 30 June 1937 including thirteen of his works were confiscated as degenerate art, two of which were to be seen in the same year on the occasion of the exhibition in Munich.
After the seizure of power by the National Socialists Muche was back to 1938 inconspicuous teacher at the school, led by Hugo Häring " art and business " in Berlin and dealt almost exclusively with fresco painting. From 1939 he was summoned by Johannes Itten at the Higher College of Textile fabrics Art in Krefeld. He founded and headed a master class for textile art. The school founded in early 1932 under the direction Itten, in 1934 and remodeled in 1939, according to Itten's departure temporarily closed. In 1942, he painted in the paint factory by Dr. Herbert in Wuppertal large frescoes ( which were destroyed in a bomb attack in the following year ). Until 1958, he set the textile class in Krefeld.
In 1960 he moved Muche to Lindau / Lake Constance, where he was active as a painter, graphic artist and writer and grappled with art theories. The town of Lindau honored him in their town museum ( " Cavazzen ") with a named after him space with his works. His grave in the cemetery Lindauer was abandoned after the rest period in 2007. 1955 his works were exhibited at the Documenta in Kassel 1. In 1979 he was awarded the Lovis Corinth Prize.
- Werner Schriefers
- Heinz Trökes