The Abbey Gorze in the community Gorze near Metz was founded in 749 or 752, and repealed in 1572. She belonged to the Order of the Benedictines, and was especially in the 10th and 11th centuries the center of the Gorzer reform movement.
The founder of the Benedictine abbey was bishop of Metz Chrodegang. The monastery was an Episcopal own monastery and wealthy rich. It was consecrated in St. Gorgonius.
In May 757 a privilege of the bishop Chrodegang was signed for the Abbey Gorze in Compiegne; Co-signer was, among others, the Bishop of Constance Sidonius. Probably they were also participants of the presented simultaneously held Frankish kingdom Synod.
A short time later, went from this monastery major impetus. It was one of the main driving forces for the enforcement of Benedictine monasticism in the Frankish kingdom. In this context, 761 belonged to the reform of Gengenbach and 765 the settlement of the monastery of Lorsch. Frothar, who later became Bishop of Toul, in a letter (Letter 28) that he grew up here.
As a result, the abbey fell into disrepair. A first, unsustainable reform attempt was made to 843 under Bishop Adventius. After further decline of the community counted last only about 20 monks.
Time of Gorzer reform
→ Main article: Gorzer reform
Since 933, the abbey was told by Bishop Adalberto I. a new boom. He gave the monastery a group of clerics to Einold abbot and the monk John of Gorze who wanted to establish a strict monastic community following the Rule of St. Benedict. The new beginning of Bishop Adalberto by returning estranged older farm was supported. Gorze became the starting point of the Gorzer reform that eventually acquired 170 monasteries. She was next to the reform movement of Cluny one of the most important movements of renewal of monastic life in the Middle Ages.
After the ebbing of the first wave of reforms went from Gorze since the second half of the 11th century a new broadcasting from. This junggorzische reform mixed elements of the reform of Cluny with the traditions of the older reform of Gorze.
Overall went from Gorze, funded by the nobility, high clergy and ( German ) kingdom, about two hundred years is critical to the monastic life from. In the convent school reform numerous later bishops were trained. The monastery possessed at times an excellent library.
The monastery later lost in spiritual meaning. However, formed a small monastic rule Canton, Terre -de- Gorze from. In 1453 the Abbey lost its independence. It was a suzerainty, first from the house Borgia, later by the Duchy of Lorraine. In 1572 Gorze was secularized. In 1661 came the Terre -de- Gorze the Holy Roman Empire in France. Although no more monastic community existed, there was a prince abbot to 1752.
The old abbey church of Saint- Étienne was demolished in 1609. Get remained the Gothic amateur and folk church Saint- Pierre -et -Saint -Paul in the first quarter of the 13th century.
The monastery of St. George mountain in Worms- Pfeddersheim was a branch monastery of the Abbey Gorze.