Stone Mart worked after graduating from the Rabanus Maurus -Gymnasium in Mainz some months in a kibbutz in Israel and then studied history and Romance languages at the University of Freiburg. From 1981 to 1988 he was editor of the Stuttgarter Zeitung and 1988-1997 editor at Tagesspiegel in Berlin. Then Mart Stone took over for a short time the leadership of the culture department at the evening newspaper in Munich, but returned a short time later returned as a senior editor at the daily mirror. Since 2002, he writes a column for which also belongs to the publishing group Georg von Holtzbrinck the time, initially under the title character and life since May 24, 2007 under the LIFE TIME magazine under Harald Stein Mart. In revised form a selection of these satirical Causerien first appeared in the anthology drawn from life in 2004. Some years Mart Stein was also represented compactly with columns in the GEO. Stone Mart currently writes for each Sunday edition of the Tagesspiegel a column, in addition, also regularly glosses to the Berlin Film Festival and occasionally even larger reports and essays.
In 2004 he was awarded the Egon Erwin Kisch Prize for a text on the succession and leadership disputes in Frankfurt Suhrkamp Verlag. This was due to lack of cooperation will of the publishing boss also a report on investigative journalism culture. In February 2007, appeared Mart Stein's novel way back, in which he portrays a German family history of the postwar period and for which he was awarded in the same year with the Corine debut price. In addition, regular volumes appear with collected TIME columns.
The second novel sensation near has, in formal analogy to the " dance ", the unsuccessful Dating a young woman on the subject. Each chapter is written from the perspective of another of her 23 lovers.
Beginning of 2007 until the end of 2008 every two weeks was on watchberlin.de a video column entitled Mart stone! to see. Unlike its TIME columns, the themes of these recorded in stone Mart Kreuzberg kitchen related posts often especially on politics and culture in Berlin. Together with the columnist Rainer Erlinger (Süddeutsche Zeitung ) joined Stone Mart 2008 and 2009 regularly in Berlin's Deutsches Theater on. In their morality show discuss Mart stone and Erlinger moral questions everyday and make it to the public vote. Journalistic crafts, especially for text type column, Stein Mart taught regularly since 2006 at the Federal Academy for Cultural Education in Wolfenbüttel and at the Henri Nannen school in Hamburg.
Since autumn 2007, Harald Stein Mart has its own radio column on radio one. The NDR joined in 2013.
Prizes and awards
- Egon Erwin Kisch Prize 2004
- Journalist of the Year 2004 ( Category Entertainment )
- Corine 2007
- Henri Nannen Award 2008 (Category Humor )
- Theodor Wolff Prize 2012
- The monastic state. Adult in German policy from Adenauer to Sharping. Fannei & roll, Berlin 1994, ISBN 3-927574-28-7.
- This has consequences. Germany and his television series. Reclam, Leipzig 1996, ISBN 3-379-01569-5.
- With Ilja Richter: Spot out! Lights on! My Story. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 1999, ISBN 3-455-11277-3.
- Growing pineapple on trees? How do I explain to my child the world. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 2001, ISBN 3-455-09343-4.
- Drawing Conclusions. Diary of an end user. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 2004, ISBN 3-455-09465-1.
- Way home. Roman, C. Bertelsmann, München 2007, ISBN 978-3-570-00953-6.
- Men are like peaches. C. Bertelsmann, München 2007, ISBN 978-3-570-00961-1.
- The title is half the battle: Sustainable Reflections on the world today. C. Bertelsmann, München 2008, ISBN 978-3-570-01017-4.
- Feels close. Novel in 23 pairings. C. Bertelsmann, München 2010, ISBN 978-3-570-10006-6.
- Views of a domestic pig: new stories about old problems. C. Bertelsmann, Munich 2011, ISBN 978-3-570-10111-7.
- Jenny Erpenbeck, Konstantin Richter, Katja Lange -Müller; Ute Krause ( Illustration ): A Berlin Christmas tale. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 2011, ISBN 978-3-455-38103-0.
- Romantic nights at the zoo. Reflections and stories from a comic country. Aufbau Verlag, 2013, ISBN 978-3-351-03518-1.
- Rejoice, Bernhard is coming soon! 12 unweihnachtliche Christmas stories. C. Bertelsmann, Munich, 2013, ISBN 978-3-570-10113-1.