Iuri Abramovich Akobia (Georgian იური აკობია; born May 20, 1937 in Anaklia, Georgia) is a Georgian author of chess compositions. He often works with other composers, such as Dawit Gurgenidze together. Lately, he has specialized in depictions mutual Zugzwangs.
Akobia authored a number of books on chess studies, beginning with Gia Nadareischwili. From 1995 to 2002 he co-authored with Dawit Gurgenidze a series of booklets entitled " Study Mosaic".
Solution: 1 Sd7 b6 Kc8xc7 2 Sb6 -d5 d6 - Kc7 3 Kg6 - f6! d2 - D1d 4 c4 - c5 ! Lb4xc5 5 Nd5 - c3! Dd1xd3 6 Te5 -d5 Dd3xd5 7 Nc3 - b5 matt
Akobia is radio physicist. From 1975 to 1996 he worked in the " National Center for Radio and TV" in Georgia. After that he worked until 2000 in the province of Guangzhou in China.
- Iuri Akobia and Gia Nadareischwili, Mat w Etjudach, Isdatelstwo Sakartvelo, Tbilisi, 1990, ISBN 5-529-00496-2 (in Russian )
- Iuri Akobia, World Anthology of Chess Studies: 4232 Studies with Stalemate, Marysville Enterprises Ltd., Tbilisi, 1994, ISBN 5-85723-009-8
- Iuri Akobia; Gia Nadareishvili, World Anthology of Chess Studies: 4492 Studies with Mate, Marysville Enterprises Ltd., Tbilisi, 1994, ISBN 5-85723-009-8
- Iuri Akobia, World Anthology of Chess Studies: 4324 Studies with Positional Draw, Marysville Enterprises Ltd., Tbilisi, 1995, ISBN 5-85723-009-8
- Iuri Akobia and Dawit Gurgenidze: Study Mosaic, 13 volumes, 1995-2002