May 20 is the 140th day of the Gregorian calendar ( 141st in leap years), thus remain still 225 days of the year.
- 3.1 Before the 20th century
- 3.2 20th century
- 3.3 21st century
Politics and World Affairs
- 0685: In the Battle of Dunnichen Mere the Picts win a decisive victory over the forces of King Anglian Ecgfrith of Northumbria, who falls in battle. After the battle, the influence of Northumbria is never enough again over the Firth of Forth beyond.
- 1217: In the Battle of Lincoln royalist English barons defeat a band of rebellious barons and knights under Prince Louis of France, who buries his ambitions with them allied French in the sequence to the English throne.
- 1303: The Treaty of Paris is France's King Philip IV against the English King Edward I by and recognizes the Guyenne as his fief.
- 1347: Cola di Rienzo markets with the help of the people hated the nobility in Rome and calls the republic according to ancient Roman model.
- 2002: After 24 years of Indonesian occupation and three years of management by the United Nations East Timor is declared as " Republica Democrática de Timor- Leste " an independent state.
Science and Technology
- 2006: The Finnish hard rock band Lordi won the first Finnish band in Athens the Euro Vision Song Contest 2006.
- 2012: Michael Haneke's film Love will premiere at the 65th Cannes Film Festival.
- 0325: convened by Emperor Constantine I to clarify the Arian dispute takes the First Council of Nicaea officially on his work.
- 1859: In Berlin groundbreaking ceremony is celebrated for the New Synagogue.
- 1202: An earthquake, of which the entire eastern Mediterranean and the Middle East is concerned, more than 100,000 people the cost of living.
- 1515: The resulting after the landslide Buzza de Biasca rubble dam breaks under the pressure of masses of water of a lake formed by Brenno. The flood reached the Magadinoebene and the Lago Maggiore and destroyed the infrastructure in the valley enjoys a mild term.
Minor accidents are listed in the sub- items of disaster.
Entries of Athletics world records are located under the respective discipline under Athletics.
Before the 19th century
Before the 20th century
- 0965: Gero, Margrave of the Saxon Ostmark
- 1285: John I of Cyprus or John II of Jerusalem
- 1431: Guillaume de Challants, Bishop of Lausanne
- 1449: Peter of Portugal, Prince of Portugal and first Duke of Coimbra
- 1506: Christopher Columbus, navigator and ( re-) discoverer of America
- 1509: Caterina Sforza, Countess of Forli
- 1527: Hans Hergot, German printers, booksellers and Protestant author
- 1609: Georg role Hagen, German writer, teacher and preacher
- 1615: Johann Heinrich von Lindenau, Rittergutsbesitzer
- 1622: Osman II, sultan of the Ottoman Empire
- 1641: Johan Banér, Swedish Field Marshal
- 1648: Władysław IV Vasa, King of Poland / quasi Tsar of Russia
- 1713: Thomas Sprat, English bishop and writer
- 1751: Domènech Terradellas, Spanish composer of operas
- 1773: Johann Konrad Spörl, German Protestant theologian
- 1782: Christoph Gottlieb Schröter, German composer
- 1784: Alexander Ross, Scottish poet
- 1793: Charles Bonnet, scientist and philosopher
- 1795: Ludwig Eugen, Duke of Württemberg 13
- 1820: Karl Ludwig Sand, radical fraternity; Murderer of August von Kotzebue
- 1834: Lafayette, a French general and politician
- 1842 Jules -Maurice Quesnel, Canadian explorer, businessman and politician
- 1845: Joseph of Hazzi, Bavarian finance official, deserving writers on forestry, agriculture and statistics
- 1854: Karl Ludwig von Haller, Swiss constitutional law
- 1860: William Butterworth Bayley, British interim Governor General of Fort William
- 1865: August Wilhelm von Neumann- Cosel, Prussian General of the Infantry and Chief of the Military Cabinet
- 1875: Marie Amalie Friederike, Duchess of Oldenburg, Princess of Bavaria and Queen of Greece
- 1880: Axel Gustaf Adlercreutz, Swedish statesman
- 1880: Henry Stuart Foote, American politician
- 1885: Frederick T. Frelinghuysen, American politician
- 1891: Jan Petr Jordan, German - Sorbian scientist and philosopher
- 2002: Stephen Jay Gould, American paleontologist, evolutionary biologist and geologist
- 2003: Höllerer, German author and literary scholar
- 2004: William Ross Adey, Australian neuroscientist
- 2005: Hanns- Ekkehard Plöger, German lawyer
- 2005: Paul Ricoeur, a French philosopher
- 2005: Lujo Tončić - Sorinj, Austrian diplomat and Secretary General of the Council of Europe
- 2007: Wolfgang Gasser, Austrian actor
- 2007: Stanley Miller, American chemist and biologist
- 2008: Harald Hein, German fencer
- 2008: Joachim Erwin, German local politician, Mayor of Dusseldorf
- 2008: Hamilton Jordan, American political consultants
- 2009: Oleg Jankowski, Russian actor
- 2009: Lucy Gordon, British actress
- 2010: Lars Clausen, German sociologist
- 2011: Randall Mario Poffo, American professional wrestler
- 2012: Robin Gibb, British musician
- 2012: Howie Richmond, American music publisher
- 2013: Ray Manzarek, American musician and writer
Holidays and observances
- Religious observances Samuel Hebich, German missionary in India ( Protestant)
- Name Days Elfriede
More entries contains the list of commemorative and Action days.
- Day in May