May 6 is the 126th day of the Gregorian calendar ( 127th in leap years), thus remaining 239 days of the year.
- 3.1 Before the 19th century
- 3.2 19th century
- 3.3 20th century
- 3.4 21st century
Politics and World Affairs
- 2002: The Dutch politician Pim Fortuyn, top candidate of the right-wing populist Pim Fortuyn Lijst will be shot in Hilversum from animal -rights activist Volkert van der Graaf. The attack leads to riots in The Hague.
- 2007: The UMP candidate Nicolas Sarkozy defeated with 53.06 percent of the vote in the runoff in the French presidential election, the Socialist candidate Ségolène Royal.
- 2012: The Socialist candidate François Hollande wins the runoff election for the French presidential office against incumbent Nicolas Sarkozy (UMP ).
Science and Technology
- 2001: Dennis Tito, the first space tourist lands after a nine-day space flight with the Russian Soyuz TM -32 mission back in Kazakhstan on earth.
Minor accidents are listed in the sub- items of disaster.
Entries of Athletics world records are located under the respective discipline under Athletics.
Before the 19th century
- 0973: Henry II, Holy Roman -German Emperor
- 1397: Sejong, King of the Korean Joseon Dynasty
- 1501: Marcellus II, Pope
- 1574: Innocent X, Pope
- 1580: Carlo I. Gonzaga, Duke of Nevers and Rethel
- 1635: Johann Joachim Becher, German chemist and physician
- 1668: Baron Adolph Magnus von Hoym, minister of Saxony and Silesian entrepreneurs
- 1696: Johann Andreas von Franken- Siersdorf, Vicar General in Cologne
- 1713: Charles Batteux, French aestheticians
- 1728: Johann Andreas Stein, German organ and piano maker
- 1741: Joseph Ignatius Buček, Czech University Professor, Author economic works
- 1744: Johann Christoph Kunze, German Protestant theologian
- 1747: George I, Count of Pyrmont and Prince of Waldeck
- 1756: André Masséna, a French general
Before the 19th century
- 2002: Murray Adaskin, Canadian composer and conductor
- 2002: Pim Fortuyn, Dutch politician and publicist
- 2004: Barney Kessel, American jazz guitarist
- 2004: Philip Kapleau, American Zen monk
- 2004: Robert Gratzer, Austrian writer, journalist, playwright and publisher
- 2005: Joe Grant, American comic book writer
- 2006: Grant McLennan, Australian singer and songwriter
- 2006: Lillian Asplund, the third- last survivor of the Titanic disaster
- 2006: Hans Wyprächtiger, Swiss actor
- 2007: Carey Bell, American blues musician
- 2007: Ikegami Kaneo, Japanese novelist and screenwriter
- 2007: Joseph St. Michael's, South Tyrol theologian and church historian
- 2008: Kuno Bärenbold, German writer
- 2009: Valentin Varennikov, Soviet- Russian military and politicians
- 2012: Volker Canaris, German dramatist, theater critic and intendant
- 2012: Jean Laplanche, French psychoanalyst and author
- 2013: Giulio Andreotti, Italian politician, several times minister and prime minister, writer and journalist
Holidays and observances
- Religious observances Friedrich III. (Saxony), German Elector ( Protestant)
- Name Days Antonia, Gundula
More entries contains the list of commemorative and action days.
- Day in May