History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Heads of State · obituary
Year of the Earth Rat戊子( at the beginning of the year fire - pig丁亥)
Syria: 2019/20 ( the year in October )
Politics and World Affairs
- October 22: In the War of Spanish Succession Prince Eugene of Savoy and the Duke of Marlborough take the city of Lille, one to the fort.
- December 10: After nearly four months of holding against the besieging troops of the Duke of Marlborough and Prince Eugene of Savoy capitulated in the War of Spanish Succession, the French commander of the citadel of Lille.
- December 22: The Swedish army under King Charles XII. besieged the fortress of Weprik (Ukraine). The fortress capitulated on January 6, 1709.
- Mahon ( Mahon Spanish ), the capital of the Balearic island of Minorca is conquered by the British
- Outbreak of plague in East Prussia
- Writing reform in Russia: Tsar Peter can Cyrillic revise and simplify.
- Administrative Reform in Russia: The country is divided into eight provinces
- The ninth Electorate of Duke Ernst August of Hanover (before 1692 Brunswick-Lüneburg ), which was awarded to him by Emperor Leopold I in 1692, is recognized by the Reichstag.
Science and Technology
- October: In Meissen succeeds Johann Friedrich Böttger and Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirnhaus first time in Europe to produce porcelain.
- The French explorer François Leguat published in London a description of his adventures on the island of Rodrigues including its natural history observations under the title Voyages et aventures de François Leguat et de ses compagnons en deux Indes orientales the isles Désertes. This also includes species such as the Rodrigues Solitaire, the Rodrigues Parakeet and lizards of the genus Phelsuma are described, probably Phelsuma gigas and Phelsuma edwardnewtoni.
- April 8: World premiere of the oratorio La Resurrezione by George Frideric Handel in Rome
- September 4: premiere of the opera Amor tra nemici Attilio Ariosti in Berlin
- October 20: The Saint Paul 's Cathedral in London is completed.
- January 07: Johann Gottlob Weidler, German jurist († 1750)
- January 25: William Hayes, English organist and composer († 1777)
- 03 February: Johann Michael Hartung, German organ builder († 1763)
- February 05: Pompeo Batoni, Italian painter († 1787)
- February 07: Anna Petrovna, daughter of Peter the Great ( † 1728)
- FEBRUARY 14: Christian Andreas Cothenius, doctor in Germany († 1789)
- FEBRUARY 16: Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim, Prince-Bishop of Würzburg and Bamberg ( † 1779)
- FEBRUARY 25: Felix Benda, Bohemian composer († 1768)
- April 03: Antoine- Gaspard Boucher d' Argis, French jurist and encyclopedist († 1791)
- 03 April: Johann Georg Walther, German educator, orator and ethnologist († 1761)
- April 23: Friedrich von Hagedorn, bourgeois rococo poet († 1754)
- 06 July: Ignaz Finsterwalder, German plasterer († 1772)
- 08 July: Johann Jakob Zeiller, Austrian painter († 1783)
- 04 August: Christian Rudolf Schmidt, Nassau carpenter ( † 1753)
- September 08: Adam Struensee, German Protestant theologian and General Superintendent of Schleswig -Holstein ( † 1791)
- September 26: Ignaz sickle Barth, operating in China German - Bohemian Jesuit missionary and painter († 1780)
- September 30: Franz Leopold of Nádasdy, Austrian field marshal and Ban of Croatia († 1783)
- 08 December: Franz I Stephan of Lorraine, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire († 1765 )
- December 16: Rochus Friedrich to Lynar, German diplomat in Danish services ( † 1783)
- Johann Albrecht von Bülow, Prussian General of the Infantry († 1776)
- February 01: Wolfgang Steinböck, Austrian master stonemason and sculptor (* 1650)
- 06 May: François de Montmorency -Laval, the first Catholic bishop in Canada ( * 1623)
- MAY 11: Jules Hardouin -Mansart, French architect (* 1646)
- May 12: Adolf Frederick II, Duke of Mecklenburg -Strelitz (* 1658)
- May 18: Arvid Axel Mardefelt, Swedish officer (* 1655)
- June 30: Christian Eberhard, Fürst of Ostfriesland (* 1665)
- June 30th: Tekle Haymanot I., Ethiopian Negus (* 1684)
- 05 July: Ferdinando Carlo Gonzaga - Nevers, Duke of Mantua (* 1652)
- 07 July: Konrad Samuel Schurz meat, German historian, polymath, and librarian (* 1641)
- October 01: John Blow, English composer (* 1649)
- October 02: Anne Jules de Noailles, Marshal of France (* 1650)
- October 11: Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirnhaus, German scientist (* 1651)
- October 21: Christian way, German writer (* 1642)
- 07 November: Ludolf Backhuysen, German marine painter in Holland (* 1630)
- November 08: George of Denmark and Norway, husband of Queen Anne (* 1653)
- November 20: Paul Strudel, Austrian sculptor (* 1648)
- November 28: Joseph Pitton de Tournefort, a French clergyman, botanist and explorer (* 1656)