October 16 is the 289th day of the Gregorian Calendar ( 290th in leap years), thus 76 days remain until the end of the year.
- 3.1 Before the 19th century
- 3.2 19th century
- 3.3 20th century
- 3.4 21st century
Politics and World Affairs
- 0456: Ricimer, the magister militum of the Western Roman army, defeated Emperor Avitus at Piacenza and forces him to abdicate.
- 0955: In the Battle of the Raxa Otto the Great prevails against the Slavic Abodrites.
Science and Technology
- 2002: The newly built Bibliotheca Alexandrina in Alexandria, Egypt, is opened.
- 2009: After 70 years of closure, the German Chancellor Angela Merkel opened the New Museum (Berlin ), which houses, among other things, the Egyptian Museum and Papyrus Collection with the bust of the Egyptian queen Nefertiti.
Minor accidents are listed in the sub- items of disaster.
Entries of Athletics world records are located under the respective discipline under Athletics.
Before the 19th century
Before the 19th century
- 0640: St. Gallus, wandering monk and missionary, legendary founder of St. Gallen
- 0786: Lull of Mainz, Catholic saint, the first archbishop of Mainz
- 1130: Pedro González de Lara, Castilian nobleman
- 1190: Louis III, Landgrave of Thuringia and participants of the Third Crusade.
- 1221: Frederick II of Wettin and Landsberg, Landsberg Saxon Earl of, Viscount of Wettin
- 1251: Volkard of Neuburg, Bishop of Chur
- 1323: Amadeus V, Count of Savoy
- 1333: Nicholas V, antipope in Rome
- 1523: Luca Signorelli, Italian painter
- 1532: Gottschalck fuse, Mayor of Lübeck
- 2002: Karl -Heinz Kreienbaum, German actor
- 2003: Laszlo Papp, Hungarian boxer
- 2004: Burk Mertens, German radio host
- 2004: Pierre Salinger, press secretary of the U.S. President John F. Kennedy
- 2004: Mario Santi, Swiss sports presenter
- 2005: Josef Bössner, Austrian track athletes
- 2006: Niall Mac Aindriú, Irish politician
- 2006: Thet Win Aung, a Burmese dissident
- 2007: Ulrich Heinrich, member of the German Bundestag
- 2007: Deborah Kerr, British actress
- 2007: Cardinal Rosalio Lara, Venezuela's Order clergyman, Cardinal
- 2007: Tose Proeski, Macedonian singer
- 2011: Dan Wheldon, British racing driver
- 2012: John A. Durkin, American politician
- 2012: Herbert Wochinz, Austrian theater director and intendant
- 2013: Ed Lauter, American actor
Holidays and observances
- Religious observances St. Gallus, missionary, monk and patron (Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox )
- St. Hedwig of Andechs, Duchess of Silesia ( Catholic, evangelical feast day is October 15 )
- St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, French mystic and nun ( Catholic)
- Name Days Gerhard
- Anniversaries of international organizations World Food Day (UN ) (since 1979)
- More information for the day USA: Boss Day (since 1958)
More entries contains the list of commemorative and action days.
- Day in October