October 31 is the 304th day of the Gregorian Calendar ( 305th in leap years), thus 61 days remain until the end of the year.
- 3.1 Before the 20th century
- 3.2 20th century
- 3.3 21st century
Politics and World Affairs
- 0475: The Captains Flavius Orestes leaves his young son Romulus Augustulus by the troops proclaimed Western Roman Emperor.
- 0802: Nicephorus I is elected emperor of Byzantium and sets from the reigning Empress Irene of Athens.
- 1639: in the Eighty Years' War the fleet of the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands in the Battle of the Downs in the English Channel succeeds a victory over Spanish-Portuguese warships.
- 2004: In the presidential elections in Ukraine there is a head-to -head race between Viktor Yanukovych and Viktor Yushchenko, which makes a runoff election on 21 November necessary.
- 2006: Operation Autumn Clouds: Shortly after midnight penetrate Israeli forces in a large-scale offensive in the Gaza Strip. The fights are mainly concentrated in the area around Bait Hanun.
Science and Technology
Minor accidents are listed in the sub- items of disaster.
Entries of Athletics world records are located under the respective discipline under Athletics.
Before the 19th century
Clement XIV (1705-1774)
- 2005: Infanta Leonor of Spain, Infanta of Spain
Before the 20th century
- 0994: Wolfgang of Regensburg, German missionary, church reformer and bishop
- 1448: John VIII, Byzantine Emperor
- 2001: Régine Cavagnoud, French alpine skier
- 2002: Yuri Aronowitsch, Russian- Israeli conductor
- 2004: Eugene Glombig, German politician ( SPD)
- 2005: Hal Anger, American electrical engineer and biophysicist
- 2005: William O. Baker, American chemist
- 2005: Helmut Brennicke, German actor, director, radio speaker, acting coach and author
- 2005: Paul Reynard, French - American painter
- 2006: Pieter Willem Botha, South African politician, Prime Minister and President
- 2008: Studs Terkel, American author and radio host
- 2009: Qian Xuesen, Chinese scientists
- 2010: Michel d' Aillières, French politician
- 2010: Manfred Bock, German track and field athlete.
- 2010: Heinrich Riebesehl, German Photographer
- 2010: Ted Sorensen, American author and lawyer
- 2011: Flórián Albert, Hungarian football player
- 2011: Liz Anderson, American country music singer and songwriter
- 2013: Gérard de Villiers, French writer
Holidays and observances
- Religious observances St. Wolfgang of Regensburg, German abbot, missionary and bishop ( Catholic)
- Reformation Day (only in Germany ) ( Protestant)
- Name Days Wolfgang
- State Holidays and observances Mexico: Day of the Dead (first day )
- Customs Halloween
- More information for the day World Savings Day (except in Germany, in Austria only if it is a working day ) (since 1925)
More entries contains the list of commemorative and action days.