May 16th is the 136th day of the Gregorian Calendar ( 137th in leap years), thus still remain 229 days of the year.
- 3.1 Before the 20th century
- 3.2 20th century
- 3.3 21st century
Politics and World Affairs
- 2007: Nicolas Sarkozy of the Union pour un mouvement populaire (UMP ) in France releases the incumbent since 1995 from Jacques Chirac as president.
- 2009: In Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa announced victory over the Tamil Tigers. Their leaders have been killed two days later by the army information on the run.
Science and Technology
Minor accidents are listed in the sub- items of disaster.
Entries of Athletics world records are located under the respective discipline under Athletics.
Before the 19th century
Before the 20th century
- 2001: Prince Ital Joe, reggae musician dominicanischer
- 2002: Luis Lintner, South Tyrolean missionary in Brazil
- 2003: William Charles Anderson, American science fiction author
- 2004: Marie Hüllenkremer, German journalist and politician
- 2004: Marika Rokk, Hungarian film actress and operetta legend
- 2005: Rudolf Liechtenhan the Younger, Swiss dramatist and ballet specialist
- 2005: Kurt Sontheimer, German political scientist
- 2005: Catherine Winter, German entrepreneur and supporter of the resistance fighters of July 20, 1944
- 2005: Pink Winter, Austrian concentration camp survivors
- 2006: Klaus Dahlen, German actor
- 2006: Josef de Ponte, Hungarian - German Church painters
- 2008: Robert Mondavi, American wine
- 2009: Max Rüeger, Swiss Radio and TV journalist
- 2010: Ronnie James Dio, American hard rock and heavy metal singers
- 2010: Hank Jones, American jazz pianist
- 2012: James Abdnor, American politician
- 2012: Kurt Felix, Swiss television presenter and television journalist
- 2012: Jesse Thomas, U.S. American football player
- 2012: Wolfgang Wiens, German playwright and theater director
- 2013: Richard Mahitsison Andriamanjato, Malagasy pastors and politicians
- 2013: Heinrich Rohrer, Swiss physicist and Nobel Prize winner
Holidays and observances
- Religious observances Five Martyrs of Lyons, French martyrs ( Protestant)
- St. Gemma Galgani, mystic Italian ( Roman Catholic)
More entries contains the list of commemorative and action days.
- Day in May