Jardin des Plantes
The Jardin des Plantes (French, German vegetable garden ) is a botanical garden in Paris with an area of 23.5 hectares and is located in the southeast of the city, on the southern bank of the Seine in the 5th arrondissement between the Paris Mosque and the scientific Faculty " Jussieu ".
The applied already in 1626 and 1635 as the Jardin du roi to the public made garden is the oldest part of the major state research and educational institute for science Muséum national d' histoire naturelle, which was founded in 1793. It is bordered by the places of activity of the Institute, including several exhibition buildings such as the remarkable Grande Galerie de l' l'Evolution (French, German Grand Gallery of Evolution) and the Menagerie du Jardin des Plantes, the only Parisian zoo within the ring road ( Boulevard périphérique ). This menagerie came about as a result of the French Revolution: A decision from 1793, according to have the exotic animals private showman either the remains of the menagerie of Versailles be assigned or has been slaughtered and are to be handed over to the naturalists of the Jardin des Plantes to Ausstopfung. The latter allowed the animals live. The zoo of the Jardin des Plantes is also after the opening of the new zoo in the Bois de Vincennes (1934), an attractive recreational opportunities.
The garden was originally built as a royal Jardin des plantes médicinales ( royal herb garden ) of the king's physicians of Louis XIII. , Jean Héroard ( 1551-1628 ) and Guy de La Brosse. Directors have included Guy- Crescent Fagon ( 1693) and Georges -Louis Leclerc de Buffon ( 1739 ), which extended the park.