Khmelnitskiy Nuclear Power Plant
Active reactors ( gross ):
Reactors under construction ( gross ):
The nuclear power plant Khmelnytsky (Ukrainian Хмельницька атомна електростанція, Russian Хмельницкая атомная электростанция ) is a nuclear power plant in Ukraine. It is located near Netischyn, in the Khmelnytskyi Oblast. In the vicinity is the river Horyn.
The nuclear power plant consists of two active reactors and two under construction reactors of the Soviet VVER -1000. The operator is the state enterprise National Nuclear Energy Generating Company Energoatom.
Originally, the nuclear power plant was planned under the name of nuclear power plant Western Ukraine II. However, this was later changed to the name of Khmelnitsky nuclear power plant. The site was selected from 50 different locations. On 28 November 1979, the Soviet Socialist Republics of the site has been configured with a capacity of 4000 MW by the Minister of Energy and Electrification of the Union. In 1980 the construction of the cooling water reservoir began which has a size of 22 km ².
Reactor block 1
The construction of the first nuclear reactor was started on 1 November 1981. On December 10, 1987, Khmelnitsky -1 for the first time critical.
Reactor block 2
With the building of the second reactor block was started on 1 February 1985. Construction was temporarily halted because the Ukrainian Parliament adopted a moratorium on the construction of NPPs in 1990.
Signed in 1995, the G7 countries, the European Commission and Ukraine a Memorandum of Understanding on the closure of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. In support of the Ukrainian decision, Ukraine was a loan from the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development ( EBRD) granted to complete the two to 80 percent completed nuclear power plant units Chmelnytskyi -2 and Rivne -4 as a substitute for, the switched off Chernobyl nuclear power plant and Western safety standards retrofit ( " K2/R4 " program). On 7 December 2000 a loan was approved 215 million U.S. dollars from the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. In 2000, the European Commission decided to award of a EURATOM loan for the completion of the Ukrainian reactors Khmelnitsky 2 and Rovno 4 in an amount of 585 million U.S. dollars. The granting of the loan, however, was coupled to a decision of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. But as the EBRD criteria were not met for the lending policies of Ukraine, the credit was ultimately not paid. In July 2004, shortly before the start of operation of the two reactors, 42 million U.S. dollars were struck for the modernization and safety improvements by the EBRD. The European Commission presented within the framework of EURATOM additional 83 million U.S. dollars to finance a safety upgrade for the state operator Energoatom available.
The second reactor block was ultimately critical for the first time on 1 August 2004 and was synchronized on August 7, 2004 for the first time with the network. On 15 December 2005 he took up the commercial operation.
Reactor block 3 and 4 reactor
In the years 1986 and 1987 has started with the construction of Units 3 and 4. Due to a moratorium of the Ukrainian Parliament in 1990, the construction was interrupted.
At a meeting in Kiev from 14 to 16 July 2008, the Russian nuclear power plant operators RosEnergoAtom and the Ukrainian operator Energoatom discussed the possible completion of Units 3 and 4 as the reactor type of WWER-1000/392B comes into consideration. This series was actually designed specifically for units 5 and 6 of the nuclear power plant Balakowo. In addition to nuclear power export, there is competition from abroad, including the French Areva, the American company Westinghouse and the South Korean company KEPCO.