Ladismith is a town in the municipality Can Aland, District Eden, Western Cape Province in South Africa. 2011 lived there 7,127 inhabitants. The city is located 300 kilometers east of Cape Town on Route 62 between Barrydale and Calitzdorp. Neighboring towns are Calitzdorp ( 45 kilometers away ), Laingsburg (85 km) and Oudtshoorn (100 km).
The city was founded in 1852 and was named after Lady Juana Smith, wife of the then governor of the Cape Colony, Sir Harry Smith. The original name "Lady Smith " in 1879 changed to " Ladismith " to avoid confusion with the homonymous city in KwaZulu -Natal.
As a National Monument reported include:
- Pentacostal Protestant Church
- The Old Cottage
- No. 26 Oakdene ( Church Street )
- Lutheran Complex
- Albert Manor House
- Birthplace of the writer CJ Langenhoven
- South Africa's largest lavender farm
- Towerkop nature reserve