Lyackson First Nation
The Lyackson or Lyackson First Nation are North American Indians and lived on Iceland Valdes off the east coast of Vancouver Iceland. However, the local areas are so difficult to obtain and also offer almost no infrastructure that the First Nation is looking for land to start a community. The name means " Douglas point " or " point ".
The Lyackson First Nation is one of the six tribes of the Hul'qumi'num group, which include even the Halalt, Chemainus, Cowichan, Penelakut and Lake Cowichan. This in turn is one of the coastal Salish. The Lyackson make it 198 members (August 2009 ) of the group that represents about 7,000 Indians. The Hul'qumi'num nation claimed an area of 334,000 ha between the Nanaimo River, the Goldstream, Douglas Iceland and the Tuck Lake.
The Lyackson lead back to four ancestors, namely Thi'Xvulece, Swin'yleth, Swute'se'Dick and Shulqvilum - traditionally in the villages T'a'at'ka7, Th'a ' x el and Th' x we ' lived ksen
Originally they had three permanent winter villages on the southwest coast of Iceland Valdes, to a village at the mouth of the Cowichan River called T'aat'ka7.
The Shingle Point today contains the 32 ha reserve Shingle Point No.. 4, in the language of Lyackson Laay'ksen ( Douglas point). This name was passed on to the people of the Lyackson. The village itself was T'aat'ka7 ( square with many Salal Berries ). It was the second largest Indian village on the Gulf Islands to Penelakut Spit on Kuper Iceland. It consisted of ten large longhouses.
The small Th'xwémksen eastward from Cayetano Point and south of Shingle Point was around 1915, only two or three houses, but they were probably only five with 100 to 150 inhabitants. The residents of the place where now a 2 -hectare reserve is ( Porlier Pass No. 5 ), were scattered after 1915.
On Cardale Point between Shingle Point and Cayetano Point there was also a village of five or six long houses and about 150 inhabitants. It was called Th'axel. Despite its great importance for hunting, here's a reserve was never established.
In the census of 1881, there were 79 Lyackson in five families, this was a fisherman living alone. Three of the five heads of families described themselves as "Farmer ", a "fisherman ", one as " trappers and hunters ."
As from 1913, the McKenna - McBride Commission visited the reserves, she suggested that the three reserves in the " Chemainus Tribe, Lyacksun tape ", "No. 3 - Lyacksun, 1756.00 acres; No. 4 - Shingle Point, 79.00 acres, and No. 5 - porter pass, 5.00 acres should remain. " Legal force received these proposals to the Commission until 1923.
Chief Pahalicktun ( Richard Thomas ) was appointed in the summer of 1993 from the traditional chief Gordon Thomas. The tribe currently resides predominantly in Chemainus, but a small part also lives on the original island. Thither drives a big, tribe own boat regularly. There is water and electricity, as well as internet connection, but many Lyackson prefer urban life. But at least it is able to strengthen the connection to the island by a vision.
In August 2009, 16 Lyackson lived on the reservation, 25 in other reserves, 157 out of a total of 198 people were registered as Lyackson. In March 2013 204 Lyackson were counted, of which 16 still in reserve and 25 in other reserves, but now lived outside 163.
Lyackson 3 is by far the largest reserve of 710.6 ha. There are also two other namely Shingle Point 4 with 32 ha and a porter Pass 5 with 2 ha