Mageia is a Linux distribution that was launched as a spin-off of Mandriva Linux to life in September 2010. The name is Greek ( μαγεία ), meaning " magic".
In June 2011, worked for more than 100 people, organized in more than 10 teams, within the international community on the Mageia development. Support of the project is a non-profit organization that is run by elected members.
Special features of the distribution
The system configuration is configured for Mageia Linux using native tools within the " Drak tools " - this is a central graphical user interface (called " Mageia Control Center " ) are available.
Mageia uses to install RPM packages as the default package management urpm, which automatically resolves dependencies and is also used to update the system. The available selection of software is divided into the following repositories:
- Core - Contains only free software
- Nonfree - Contains free, but proprietary software mainly drivers from hardware manufacturers.
- Could hurt Contains problematic software which, although partially is also under a free license, but may have patents and / or copyright laws in some countries - Tainted. Tainted so it is disabled by default.
Release cycles, support and plans
Before publication of the first version of Mageia an alpha, two beta and one RC version were released. A port for the ARM architecture is in progress.
It is planned to publish every nine months a new version. This should then be supported for 18 months. If planning is to be followed a version to be published every 18 months with the long term support of 36 months.
The final version of Mageia 2 was released on 22 May 2012 after three alpha and beta releases and an RC version. An update from Version 1 is supported.
Boot and installation options
- The DVD ISO and the dual -arch CD ISO with use of drakx installer.
- A live version for testing of the system that can be installed on the hard disk.
Desktop Environments and Window Managers
( Versions based on the final release of Mageia 3)
- GNOME 3.6.0
- KDE SC 4.10.2
- LXDE 0.5.5
- Window Maker
- XFCE 4.10.0
- Razor -qt
A complete list of desktop environments and window managers can be found in the release notes.
Mageia is at Distrowatch for a year at least in fourth place of the called distribution pages. On the cover discs 148, 160 and 173 of the English magazine Linux Format it was shipped with.