Manchester and Birmingham Railway
The Manchester and Birmingham Railway (M & BR) was a British railway company that existed from 1837 to 1846. She built the route between Manchester and Crewe and was a part of the later London and North Western Railway.
After the construction of the Grand Junction Railway ( GJR ) and the Liverpool and Manchester Railway (L & MR ) held by investors other possible routes south of Manchester lookout. 1835 planned the GJR a distance to Stoke-on -Trent, while the Manchester and Cheshire Junction Railway wanted to build a route between Manchester and Crewe. George Stephenson was looking for a route from Manchester via Stockport to Stoke-on -Trent, and there were plans to build a competing line through the valley of the Trent to Rugby. After two years of proposals and counter-proposals, the proposal was to build a line from Crewe via Stockport to Manchester the consent of Parliament. An extension towards rugby was not pursued for lack of funds.
1840, the first section between Heaton Norris and a temporary station at the Travis Street was opened in Manchester. However, it was still missing viaduct with 22 arches over the Mersey at Stockport. From 1841 the Sheffield, Ashton -under- Lyne and Manchester Railway wrong also to Travis Street. 1842, the final station on the Store Street was opened (later London Road and Piccadilly since 1960 ). 1842 was also of the remaining portion to be put into operation Crewe. There the route of the GJR allowed the connection to Birmingham. 1846 merged the M & BR, the GJR and the London and Birmingham Railway to the London and North Western Railway.