Renens is a municipality in the district of Ouest lausannois the canton of Vaud in Switzerland.
Renens is on 415 m above sea level. M., 4 km north- west of the canton capital Lausanne ( straight line ). The suburban community of Lausanne extends in a depression in the east of the Valley of Mèbre as well as on the adjacent slopes north of Lake Geneva, in the Vaud Mittelland.
The area of 3.0 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the Vaud Central Plateau north of Lake Geneva. The communal land extends from the ground terrace at Malley northward the gently sloping hillside of Renens up to below Prilly. Here is 470 m above sea level. M. reached the highest point of Renens. The western boundary is the Valley of the Mèbre, a side stream of Chamberonne. The creek is covered in the range of Renens on long drives. From the municipality surface 1997 93 % came from settlements, 3% of the forest and trees and 4% to agriculture.
To Renens extended industrial and commercial zones. Neighboring communities of Renens are Lausanne, Prilly, Prilly, Chavannes- près -Renens, Ecublens and Crissier.
With 20,162 inhabitants (as of 31 December 2012) Renens one of the largest municipalities in the canton of Vaud and is the most populous suburban community of Lausanne. Of the 73.8 % inhabitants are French-speaking, 6.6 % and 4.4 % Italian- portugiesischsprachig (as of 2000). The population of Renens increased since 1900 to very strong, the strongest growth with nearly 12,000 inhabitants was observed between 1950 and 1970. Due to the economic crisis in the 1970s associated with the migration of foreign workers, the population decreased by almost 500 people in the next decade. Since then, the population is increasing slowly but steadily on. The proportion of foreigners Renens in 2002 was 53%. Almost the entire community is built over the ground today, the community has only small reserves of land. The settlement area of Renens is completely grown together with those of Lausanne, Prilly and all other neighboring communities.
Renens was until the mid-19th century, a predominantly rural village embossed. It was then operated on the slopes around the village agriculture and viticulture. Today there are in the municipality no longer vines. The primary sector has hardly any significance in the occupational structure of the population.
Due to its position on the railway line Lausanne- Geneva and on the outskirts of Lausanne Renens be developed from the mid-19th century as an industrial community and thus become an important economic center. Before 1830 there were in place only a forge and a winery. 1832 settled with a brick the first major operation on, which was privatized in 1866 and since 1958 works in Crissier. The first economic boom occurred after 1855 with the rail service. 1876, the marshalling yard Renens was put into operation, which was constructed in 1890 and 1908 further expanded. With the opening of the large marshalling yard Denges one of Renens lost greatly in importance.
With industrialization, the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, many important companies set up operations and many immigrants came to Renens. Among the major companies that are domiciled in Renens since the first half of the 20th century include the Iril SA ( knitwear ), the Kodak SA ( photo lab ), the Imprimeries Réunies de Lausanne ( IRL), the bindery Mayer et Soutter SA ( since 1918) and the Tesa SA ( manufacture of measuring instruments).
Today, the major industries including mechanical engineering, microtechnology and precision engineering, the electrical and electronic industry, textile and food industry as well as numerous smaller companies in various industries. Renens is the location of the distribution center of the Vaud Coop -Chablais valaisan, a grain silo and a branch of the Union Bank of Switzerland.
Culture, Education and Sport
In 1950, a town center with secondary school, a theater hall and a community library was created (since 1978). The sports center was inaugurated in 1969. In the former gas factory was established in 1979 a theater.
The community is easily accessible via. It lies on the main route from Lausanne to Bussigny -pres-Lausanne. Renens can by the motorway are Lausanne- Crissier off the A1 ( Geneva -Lausanne -Yverdon ), Lausanne Malley opened in 1964 at the western city terminal and Lausanne - Blécherette be easily reached on the A9 opened in 1974 (Lausanne -Sion ).
On July 1, 1855, the section Bussigny -pres-Lausanne was - Renens opened the railway line from Yverdon to Lausanne. At the same time also saw the inauguration of the route to Morges. The first tram line reached Renens of Lausanne in 1903. 1964 tram traffic was replaced by trolleybuses. Today the community is being developed by the Lausanne Trolleybus and several bus lines of the Transports publics de la région Lausannoise whose depot is also located since 1995 in Renens. Since 1991 Renens is also the terminus of the light rail Métro Lausanne Ouest ( metro line M1).
The first documentary mention of the place was already in the year 896 as in villa Runingis. Later, the names Runens ( 1147 ), Runeins ( 1218 ) and Rugnens published from the 13th to the 16th centuries. The name goes back to the Burgundian personal names Runo and means for the people of Runo.
Renens shelter since the Middle Ages the Lausanne Cathedral Chapter and formed a separate benefice. Another part of the goods belonged to the lords, the knights of Rugnens called themselves. With the conquest of Vaud by Bern in 1536 Renens came under the administration of the bailiwick of Lausanne. 1553 Renens was a separate dominion, which was bought in 1750 by the city of Lausanne. After the collapse of the Ancien Régime, the village belonged from 1798 to 1803 during the Helvetic Republic to the canton of Geneva, who came up then with the enactment of the Act of Mediation in the canton of Vaud. 1798 was assigned to the district of Lausanne.
1940 Renens was accidentally target a bombardment by British aircraft. In the years 1920 and 1946 an amalgamation was in question, which was not pursued in the city of Lausanne. Also, a merger of the municipalities Renens, Chavannes- près -Renens, Crissier and Ecublens that would have led to a population and strong economic center to the west of Lausanne, was not well received by the inhabitants. With the excess of the 10,000 -inhabitant limit Renens was declared a town in 1960.
In Renens there are only a few witnesses from the earlier period. The castle dates from the 18th century, also some mansions from the 18th and 19th centuries have been preserved. The new Protestant parish church was consecrated in 1935; 1966 comes the Catholic church of Saint Francis. Renens is today largely residential blocks and commercial zones on the slopes above the former village there are some single-family homes and villas quarters.