Rimatara is the westernmost inhabited island of the Austral Islands and part of the overseas territory of French Polynesia. Only the uninhabited atoll Maria is located further west. The island is surrounded almost perfectly circular by a fringing reef. It has an area of about 9 km ² and is relatively flat: the highest peak, Mount Uhau, rises only 83 meters on. Rimatara is fertile and covered by forests and grasslands.
The population in 2007 was 797 inhabitants living in the three villages Amaru, Anapoto and Mutuaura.
The airfield of Rimatara ( IATA Label: RMT) is located on the north side of the island. Air Tahiti flies among other things, to Tahiti.
( † June 9, 1852 born February 8, 1800) discovered Rimatara was only in the year 1811 by the born in Tahiti Captain Samuel Pinder Henry. 1821 landed the minister William Henry here and founded a Protestant mission station. France established a protectorate over the island in 1889 and annexed it in 1900.