The Rote Fabrik is a former factory site in Zurich -Wollishofen, which is now used as a cultural center. It is so named because the buildings are made of red bricks; but sometimes also because left-wing parties spoke up for their conversion.
The Red Factory was built in 1892 by architect Carl -Arnold - Séquin Bronner for the silk company Henneberg; In 1899 it was taken over by the silk weaving Stünzi sons from Horgen. 1940 the factory was taken over by the ITT subsidiary standard telephone & radio AG. In 1972, the Zurich city acquired the factory and planned to demolish the building in order to broaden the lake road, can.
Popular initiative and IG Rote Fabrik
The Social Democratic Party of Switzerland ( SP) launched in 1974 a popular initiative for the preservation of the Red Factory and transformation into a cultural center. As a result, studios have been set up for artists and there were cultural events. 1977, the Zurich electorate opted for the preservation and use as a cultural and recreational center.
Since the Zurich city did not stop the order with respect to the cultural use, 1980, the interest group Rote Fabrik ( IGRF ) was founded. As was advertised with a folk festival for a loan in the amount of CHF 61 million for the Opera House on 30 May 1980, it came to the " Opera House riots ," violent clashes between the so-called youth movement, the city government and the police. The youth movement demanded that the city spaces for alternative youth culture, the cultural center Rote Fabrik in Wollishofen or another building for an autonomous youth center should be provided by the city.
Rote Fabrik cultural
On October 25, 1980 (at the moment provisional) opened the Rote Fabrik cultural. Music and theater were the focus of the new, universally known and organized self Velo patch was (autonomous bicycle repair). Some independent theater groups, who gained increasing influence in the scene, gave at the Rote Fabrik her debut. Also the Taktlos Festival is held there.
In 1981, the Rote Fabrik in 1985, the restaurant Ziegel oh Lac was declared a National Monument and opened ( as a nod to the Hotel Baur au Lac) and the Shedhalle. In a referendum held in 1987 decided the fact that the Red factory should be used as an alternative cultural center and subsidized.
Early 1990s, the area was redeveloped. In 2002, the subsidies to 2.3 million francs were adjusted, which annually more than 300 events were held. 2010, the 30th anniversary was celebrated with the series of events 30 years have questioned enough self-critical. The Red Factory continues to be led by an IG as a collective.
Since 2008 is located on the site of a branch of room for media cultures of the world, " Dock18 ".
In June 2012, broke into the Rote Fabrik from a fire. After a few hours the fire department brought the smoldering fire under control. No people were injured, but a large quantity was destroyed in artistic work.