Roy Lee Adler ( born 1931 ) is an American mathematician.
Adler in 1961 received his doctorate from Yale University in Shizuo Kakutani ( On some algebraic aspects of measure preserving transformations ). He was a mathematician at IBM at the Thomas J. Watson Research Center.
Adler deals with dynamical systems, ergodic theory, symbolic and topological dynamics and coding theory.
From him, LW Goodwyn and Benjamin Weiss comes the road coloring problem that Avraham Trakhtman sparked 2007.
He is a Fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- Brian Marcus: Topological entropy and equivalence of dynamical systems, American Mathematical Society 1979
- Symbolic dynamics and Markov partitions, Bulletin AMS, Volume 35, 1998, pp. 1-57
- Alan Konheim, MH McAndrew Topological Entropy, Transactions AMS, Volume 114, 1965, pp. 309-319
- Topological Entropy in Scholarpedia
- With Charles Tresser, Patrick A. Worfolk Topological conjugacy of linear endomorphisms of the 2- torus, Trans Amer. Math Soc. 349 (1997), 1633-1652