San Luigi dei Francesi
San Louis of the French (Latin: Sancti Ludovici Francorum de Urbe ) is a church in Rome, close to Piazza Navona. The church houses the Contarelli Chapel with three paintings by Caravaggio. In the church is the French National Church. It was built in 1518-1589 and is the hl. King Louis IX. consecrated by France.
The pictures show the Caravaggio's The Calling of Saint Matthew and the Martyrdom of St. Matthew and the writing of the Gospel with the angels. This is Caravaggio's first major contract, which he received through his early promoter Cardinal Francesco Maria del Monte. The painting has existed 1599-1602 and are characterized by the great realism as well as the typical Caravaggio chiaroscuro.
The organ above the main entrance was built in 1879 by Joseph Merklin; it includes 35 registers on 4 levels.
As titular church they have always held the Cardinals, who are also the archbishops of Paris.
- Pierre Veuillot (1967-1968)
- François Marty (1969-1994)
- Jean- Marie Lustiger (1994-2007)
- André Vingt -Trois since 2007
Caravaggio: Calling of St. Matthew
Caravaggio: St. Matthew and the Angel
Caravaggio: The Martyrdom of St. Matthew
Organ above the main portal