Santa Maria in Aquiro
Santa Maria in Aquiro, also of Santa Maria in Cyro is a church in Rome. She is also a title diakonia of the Roman Catholic Church, the parish church and monastery church of the Somaschi. In addition, it is the center of the Roman Maria- of -Lourdes - worship. Its present appearance dates from outer substantially in the late 16th century, the interior was designed in large parts of the 19th century in neo-Baroque style.
The church is located in the III. Roman rione Colonna directly next to the Palazzo Capranica at the designated pursuant to this Piazza Capranica, about 130 meters northwest of the Pantheon.
History and Architectural History
A church previously standing at this point was in the 8th century under Pope Gregory III. rebuilt. Your name ( its origin was a long time controversial ) they received probably from a corruption of the name of an abbot or Abbacyrus Cyrus; the designation in Aquiro is first documented in 1143 demonstrated. After an excitation Ignatius of Loyola, the church was by Pope Paul III. 1540 seat of a society that cares for orphans ( Pia Opera degli Orfanelli ), the orphanage and a hospital was set up in the neighboring monastery. The parish was united with that of Santo Stefano dell Trullo by a bull of Pope Pius V in 1571. After belonging to this parish church of the same in the late 17th century had been profaned and laid down, many spoils and other objects came into the possession of the church, as well as ancient Roman reliefs, now in the courtyard of the palace curator. As of 1590 the church was completely rebuilt at the beginning according to the plans and under the supervision Francesco da Volterra. After his death in 1594 Carlo Maderno took over the further work, but they were interrupted in 1602 after the death of the monetary giving Cardinal Anton Maria Salviati. Only in 1681 the construction was resumed and completed the apse under the direction Mattia de Rossi. The previously missing floor of the facade, with its bell tower was built in 1774. After a fire in 1845 the church from 1856 to 1866 in the interior was rebuilt in neo-baroque style cross.
The new holder of the title, Cardinal Angelo Amato, the church took on Friday, February 11, 2011 in possession.
The facade has two storeys and five axes. Respectively on either side of the main portal flat pilasters are presented with a baroque variation of ionic capitals. One of the side portals through the outer pilasters of the central axis are stepped, side portals wear segmental arches, the main portal is designed as Ädikulaportal with a triangular pediment. The program of the central axis is repeated on the upper floor, where the pilasters now carry Corinthian capitals. Flanked by two small over the full columns and decorated with a balustrade round-arched windows of the upper lap includes simply holding the triangular pediment from the facade, crowning the flames vases and a pedestal with a cross. The two Roman churches for more unusual bell tower bear to the pillars capitals Tuscan order, the balustrades below the open sound windows are curved convexly, the windows themselves are spanned by segmental arches.
The church presents itself today as a three-aisled basilica dar. At the aisles side chapels were added, the crossing is topped by a dome, it is close to the choir and apse at. The vaults were designed as a barrel vault with lunettes. The windows of the clerestory are completed rectangular and with a segmental arch upwards. The dome drum is pierced by eight simple windows.
The frescoes of the nave originate predominantly by Cesare Mariani from the years 1865 and 1866. Adjust the pillars Church Fathers is on the walls depicting scenes from the life of Mary. The stucco angels of the nave are from Luigi Fontana, those of the transept by Luigi Simonetti. The frescoes in the transept, the Kuppelpendetifs and the dome itself are also from Mariani. The choir is decorated with pilasters with capitals featured Tuscan order, the marble cladding of the walls is painted. The design of this comes from Luca Carimi. The painting on the high altar depicts the Visitation and is sculpted by Giovanni Battista Buoncore from the 17th century. Perhaps it is as well to get a copy from the 19th century.
The first chapel to the right contains a representation of St. Sebastian; it is a Lombard work at the beginning of the 17th century.
The third chapel on the right is still in its original state from the beginning of the 17th century, the frescoes were made by Carlo Saraceni. It contains two oil paintings of the founders of the chapel, a Ferrari Orazio and Erminia Sordi.
The right transept contains ( as the left also ) one of Cardinal Pietro Vidoni 1626 donated choir loft. In this aisle there are the nearly identical times of grave Lelio Virili (d. 1701) and Cardinal Luca Antonio Virili, who died in 1634. In the left transept there are two oil paintings with scenes from the life of Saint Jerome Ämiliani, the founder of the Somaschi. Also you can find the grave of the deceased Cardinal Domenico Savelli 1864.
The second chapel of the left aisle contains the main attractions of the church: three frescoes by Giovanni Battista Speranza from the beginning of the 17th century. You put in the middle of an angel with cross, left the Cross and to the right Nailing to the Cross Represents the altar painting is by Gerrit van Honthorst and provides the Lamentation of Christ dar. Also by this Dutch artists are the other two paintings in the chapel at the side walls, on the left the scene of the Flagellation, on the right, the crowning with Thorns. Opposite the chapel is the tomb of Archbishop Carlo de Montecatini, died 1699th
Buried in the church is still the 1550 deceased bishop of Foligno and humanist Blosio Palladio. His tomb is located in Vorjoch, its created by an unknown artist grave bust is inspired by a learned, classicizing style. Nevertheless, the work is considered " less demanding ".
The church is open on working and Saturdays mornings from 07:30 bis 12:00 clock and afternoon / evening from 16:00 bis 19:30 clock. On Sundays and holidays the morning opening time is extended to 12:45 clock.