Schweizerische Wagons- und AufzÃ¼gefabrik AG Schlieren-ZÃ¼rich
The Swiss Wagons and Aufzügefabrik AG (SWS, local / colloquial " Wagi " ), based in Schlieren in Canton Zurich was a Swiss manufacturer of rail vehicles.
The company was founded in 1895 with the company Geissberger. & Cie., which opened a car factory in the Schlieren station. From Geissberger 1899 the Swiss Wagon and Wagons- Fabrik AG, headquartered in Zurich, the seat has been already moved a year later to streaks. In 1901 it was renamed the Swiss Wagon Factory AG in Schlieren - Zurich. 1903 ordered the newly formed Swiss Federal Railways ( SBB) at SWS cars, already in 1906 the 1000th rail cars left the factory in 1909 and 2000. Carriage to the SBB was delivered. At that time, also tram vehicles, partly together with the Maschinenfabrik Oerlikon made . Include, for example, the widespread Swiss standard car. 1917, the elevator business was taken over by the elevators and wheel factory Seebach AG and Schlieren - Zurich in 1928 changed the company name to Schweizerische Wagons and Aufzügefabrik AG.
In 1956 it was announced that the " Pars Finanz AG " - the former parent company of working in the lift and Wagonsbau Schindler Group - had bought up 30% of the share capital. The " Wagi " has been completely taken over in 1960 and incorporated as a subsidiary in the Schindler Group. As 1980/1981 of the Swiss rail vehicle was restructured, the SWS specializing in component manufacturing, remodeling and revisions in lift on standard doors and cabins.
1983 was announced by Schindler that the SWS would be closed; End of August 1985, the closure of the " Wagi " under loud protests of workers and the population. On the work area, which was leveled within a very short time, a large new building for a new printing of the Neue Zürcher Zeitung (NZZ ) was created; in other new buildings, in particular, new small businesses settled.