Twin Pagoda Temple

The Yongzuo Temple (Chinese永祚 寺, Pinyin Yǒngzuò sì ), also called " Shuang Ta Si " (双塔/双塔 寺, Shuang tǎ Sì, twin pagodas temple ') called, is a temple complex four kilometers southeast of Taiyuan, the capital of Shanxi Province in the People's Republic of China.

The temple stands on the list of monuments of the People's Republic of China ( 6-467 ).


The temple complex also includes two pagodas, of which the English name 'Twin Pagoda Temple " is derived. The eastern pagoda was built in 1597, the West in 1612 under Emperor Wanli (Chinese万历) during the Ming Dynasty. Responsible for the construction was a high ranking monk named Fodeng (Chinese佛灯).

In the 20th century it was found that the eastern pagoda had a slope of 2.87 meters from its center of gravity over the years due to the weather. Then, this shift was corrected successfully in 1995 by experts by removing earth under the pagoda.


Each of the two 53.3 ( Ostpagode ) or 54.8 (West Pagoda) meters tall pagoda has 13 stories. They are the highest twin pagodas in China and were each created in the shape of an octagon. As building material bricks and stones were used. All floors are decorated with eaves. The buildings inside the temple were built from the same materials as the pagodas. The posts and brackets demonstrate the functions of ancient Chinese architecture. In the temple complex many tree peonies are planted since the Ming dynasty, which give the plant for flowering in Spring a special character. The temple contains about 260 stone stele that were painted by Chinese calligraphers of various dynasties, for example by Wang Xizhi, Yan Zhenqing, Liu Zongyuan and Su Dongpo.