Taiyuan (Chinese太原市) is the capital city of Shanxi Province in the People's Republic of China and is located at 780 m altitude at Fen He flow.
As a prefecture-level city of Taiyuan has an administrative area of 6988 km ² and 3,650,000 inhabitants approximately ( end of 2009).
Taiyuan has a history of over 2500 years, was named Jinyang (晋阳) built in 497 BC.
Taiyuan is now a major industrial center in northern China, the main industries are: coal mining, iron smelting and the production of stainless steel and aluminum.
Taiyuan is the Baikonur Taiyuan, a smaller space station for satellite launches, the Chinese launch vehicle Long March.
The other one in Taiyuan Jinci temple complex stands since 1961 on the list of monuments of the People's Republic of China ( 1-85 ). The list includes the Yongzuo Temple ( 6-467 ) is indicated.
Taiyuan has twinned with Chemnitz.
At county level, Taiyuan consists of six districts, three counties and one independent city together. These are:
- Municipality Xinghualing (杏花岭区), 170 km ², 530,000 inhabitants, center, seat of the city government;
- Municipality Xiaodian (小店区), 295 km ², 470,000 inhabitants;
- Municipality Yingze (迎泽 区), 117 km ², 490,000 inhabitants;
- Municipality Jiancaoping (尖草坪 区), 286 km ², 330,000 inhabitants;
- Municipality Wanbailin (万柏林 区), 305 km ², 500,000 inhabitants;
- City District Jinyuan (晋源 区), 287 km ², 180,000 inhabitants;
- Circle Qingxu (清徐 县), 607 km ², 300,000 inhabitants, capital: greater community Qingyuan (清源 镇);
- Circle Qu (阳曲 县), 2062 km ², 140,000 inhabitants, capital: greater community Huangzhai (黄寨镇);
- Circle Loufan (娄烦 县), 1290 km ², 120,000 inhabitants, capital: greater community Loufan (娄烦 镇);
- Gujiao City (古 交 市), 1540 km ², 210,000 inhabitants.