Elbaz grew up in a Jewish family of Moroccan origin. With ten years of his family emigrated from Morocco to Israel, where he grew up in Cholon. After his school days and his military service in the Israeli army Elbaz studied at the Shenkar College of Engineering and Design in Ramat Gan. After studying Elbaz moved in 1987 to New York City where he worked for two years as a fashion designer for wedding dresses. Then Elbaz worked another seven years for Geoffrey Beene.
In 1997, Elbaz as a fashion designer for Guy Laroche Company, where he remained only one year. In 1998 he went to Yves Saint- Laurent, where he rose within the company as chief designer. As the company's management at the company Saint- Laurent joined the professional finish of Yves Saint -Laurent and Gucci, the company acquired the company Saint -Laurent, Elbaz left after three collections, the company and went to Italy, where he was working for Krizia. In October 2001, Elbaz was set when companies Lanvin in Paris, which the Taiwanese company group harmony SA (led by Shaw - Lan Wang ) belongs.
His longtime significant other is Alex Koo.
Prizes and Awards (selection)
After a difficult career start Alber Elbaz has garnered a number of awards:
- 2005: International Fashion Award (Council of Fashion Designers of America )
- 2007 Couture Council Award for Artistry of Fashion ( Fashion Institute of Technology)
- 2007: The Fashion Group International 's 24th Annual
- 2007: Chevalier of the Légion d' Honneur, Paris
- 2007: Listed on the TIME 100 list of most influential people
- 2007: International Award (Council of Fashion Designers of America )
- 2010: Designer of the Year ( Accessories Council )
- 2013: Geoffrey Beene Fashion 50th Impact Award ( YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund )