Life and work
Anoushka Shankar was born in London. She is the well-known sitar player Ravi Shankar 's daughter; Her mother is Sukanya Rajan. At seven, she moved with her parents to San Diego. There she began her father to learn the sitar game and was 13 years her concert debut in New Delhi ( India). Since then, she often appeared with her father. Unlike Norah Jones, her half- sister, she is facing the traditional Indian music.
Her first solo album Anoushka was published in 1998. In 2002 she was involved in the Concert for George, 2008, she organized with the Jethro Tull A Billion Hands Concert, a benefit concert on the occasion of the attacks on 26 November 2008 in Mumbai.
She also starred in the film Dance Like a Man a role as a dancer.
Since 2010 she is married to the English film director Joe Wright, they have a son together ( Zubin, 2011) and live in London.
Discography and media
- Anoushka. Angel Records (1998)
- Anourag. Angel Records (2000)
- Rise. Angel Records (2005)
- Breathing Under Water. Manhattan ( EMI ) (2007 ) - Karsh Kale with Norah Jones, Sting, Ravi Shankar
- Traveller. German Grammophon (2011)
- Traces of You. German Grammophon (2013 )
- Arpan. Conducting and sitar, London Metropolitan Orchestra and others ( composer: Ravi Shankar, 23:01 ). In: Concert for George. Warner Music, directed by David Leland (2003, ASIN: B0000CEB4V )
- Anoushka Shankar & Joshua Bell. Verbier Festival 2007 ARTE F, directed. François -René Martin ( F / CH, 2007, 55 min)
- British House of Commons Shield, 1998
- Woman of the Year ( with Kareena Kapoor, Ritu Beri, and Rhea Pillai ), International Women's Day 2003
- Grammy nomination for the album Live at Carnegie Hall 2003