Bavarian Zugspitze Railway
47.491784511.0970185Koordinaten: 47 ° 29 '30 " N, 11 ° 5' 49 " O
The Bavarian Zugspitze Railway is adjacent to the Wendelsteinbahn, the Drachenfels Railway and the cog railway Stuttgart one of four still operated cog railways in Germany. The meter gauge [note 1] line runs from Garmisch- Partenkirchen Garmisch on the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain. It is operated by the Bavarian Zugspitze Railway Mountain Railroad, Inc. ( BZB ), a subsidiary of Community Works Garmisch -Partenkirchen. 2007, the Zugspitze Railway was nominated for the award " Historic Landmark of civil engineering in Germany ."
The Zugspitze is alternatively accessible by the Eibseeseilbahn or the Tyrolean Zugspitze Railway.
- 2.1 locomotives
- 2.2 railcars 2.2.1 1 to 4
- 2.2.2 5 and 6
- 2.2.3 10 to 11
- 2.2.4 309
- 2.2.5 12, 14, 15 and 16
Route and history
1924 still rejected by the Bavarian Ministry of Commerce, the railway was built in the years 1928 to 1930 and opened in three sections. First went on 19 February 1929, the 3.2 km long middle piece between Grainau and the Eibsee in operation. On 19 December 1929, the 7.5 km long section between Garmisch and Grainau followed, so that the important tourist port on the German Reichsbahn was made . Now abandoned - - On July 8, 1930, the last 7.9 kilometers between the Eibsee and were top station Schneefernerhaus released solemnly.
The Zugspitze Railway begins in Garmisch at an altitude of 705 m above sea level. NN. There, the BZB operates a equipped with only a single platform track railhead, which is operationally completely separated from the adjacent standard gauge railway station of Deutsche Bahn AG. Previously existed southeast of the passenger station nor a mover of goods to which approach resulted in a standard gauge track. The BZB Station is named " Garmisch " and the station of the Deutsche Bahn the name " Garmisch -Partenkirchen ". At a length of 7.5 kilometers, the Zugspitze Railway runs initially as adhesion railway to Grainau, on the first three kilometers, it runs parallel to the existing since 1913 Außerfernbahn. In Grainau station up the steep track begins, it is equipped with a rack on the Riggenbach system. Previously valley and mountain -Lok -Lok were changed in Grainau, the railcars used today operate but continuous. The railway runs from Grainau steeply uphill, passing the Eibsee station and finally reaches the breakpoint Riffelriss. Immediately after the breakpoint of the 4466 -meter Zugspitze Tunnel begins to Schneefernerhaus, there is an underground terminus.
New summit track since 1987
In 1987, the routing in the summit area has been modified, then the 975 m long was opened " Rosi tunnel". It is named after the skier of Rosi Mittermeier, which was a tunnel godmother. The tube branches in the upper quarter of the Zugspitze from already since 1930 existing tunnel and leads to something deeper Zugspitzplatt at 2.588 meters. There, the new Glacier train station is located below the restaurant " Sonn-Alpin " in the ski resort. The total distance of the Zugspitze Railway was extended at that time from 18.6 to currently 19.0 km, of which 11.5 km on the rack portion. For five years, both endpoints were operated in parallel, but the old route is no longer navigate to Schneefernerhaus runs regularly since November 1992.
View from the breakpoint Riffelriss immediately before the entrance to the summit tunnel
Altitude in the tunnel
Detailed sketch of the Zugspitze Tunnel
For operating debut in 1930 twelve locomotives were supplied by AEG. Among four Tallokomotiven for the adhesion portion with the factory numbers 4268-4271, and eight mountain locomotives for the rack portion with the factory numbers 4260-4267.
The Talloks got at the Zugspitze Railway operating numbers 1-4, the Bergloks 11-18. The biaxial Tallokomotiven with the wheel arrangement Bo and their power of 2 x 112 kW reach a maximum of 50 km / h They are 6.9 meters long and 27.5 tons.
The biaxial also Bergloks with the wheel arrangement 1zzz1 can be used only on rack sections. Each of the three 170 -kW motors operates independently its own gears on a respective gear. The locos with a maximum of 13 km / h uphill and downhill Eibsee below. Above Eibsee the speed is limited on the downhill at 9 km / h. The locomotives are 6.3 meters long and 28.7 tons.
With the locomotive-hauled trains, passengers were able to travel the entire distance without change. A Tallok brought up to six cars to Grainau, there took over the Bergloks promotion. Below Eibsee allowed a three mountain locomotive, above Eibsee carry two passenger cars.
In the 1950s the first railcar generation came to BZB. The four vehicles have been delivered by a consortium of MAN, AEG and the Swiss Locomotive and Machine Works under the factory numbers 140974 (1, 1954), 141470 (2, 1956), 143474 (3, 1958) and 143475 (4, 1958) and got the car numbers 1-4. The multiple use of car numbers is generally common in the BZB.
The four-axle railcar with the wheel arrangement 1zz11zz1 and an output of 4 x 114 kW were significantly faster than the Bergloks on the rack portion and displaced this largely out of the passenger train service. Below Eibsee they drove 23 km / h mountain and 20 km / h downhill; Eibsee above 20 km / h mountain and 15 km / h downhill. The motor coaches have 54 seats are 14.6 meters long and 22.6 tons.
As Vorstellwagen for these railcars some of the cars have been rebuilt. They were beveled entrance doors, a large mountain -side windows and a sun protection.
5 and 6
1978 delivered SLM and BBC among factory numbers 5132 and 5133 two railcars with the wheel arrangement 1zz11zz1 which the operating points 5 and 6 were given. With 4 × 117 kW, the vehicles have the same speed as the railcar 1-4, offer 56 passenger capacity, is 14.8 meters long and 23.3 tons. With the commissioning of these two vehicles, the slow Bergloks could be completely replaced in passenger transport. As a control car for these railcars in 1980 converted passenger trains serve 21 ( for railcars 5 ) and 22 ( for railcars 6).
10 and 11
1987 delivered SLM and Siemens with the factory numbers 5316 and 5317, the two two-car train 10 and 11 were the first vehicles of the Zugspitze Railway which could cope with the total distance. In each bogie an engine operates either on the downslope axis or on a gear. With 4 × 216 kW, the vehicles reach to the adhesion portion 70 km / h and on the rack 30 km / h below Eibsee uphill, otherwise known as railcars 1-4. You have 114 seats are 29.3 meters long and 54.1 tons.
Since the full renovation of the tracks on the bottom portion in the years 1987-1988, these railcars can at a maximum speed for the first time fully. The train station in Garmisch was then rebuilt. The Wendelsteinbahn has two nearly identical two-car train, there the handle all the traffic.
In 2000, the BZB acquired for the first time used vehicles. From the Bernese Oberland Railway took over the 1979 built railcar 309, the two matching Vorstellwagen 211 and 213 came from the regional Bern-Solothurn. All three chariots at the BZB their old numbers and the GFN couplings from Switzerland; they are equipped with air brakes. The railcar has an engine power of 270 kW × 4, has 52 seats is 17.2 meters long and 44.2 tons. The vehicle is suitable for adhesion and rack operation, but has only one authorization to Eibsee ( maximum gradient 140 ‰), because his gear brake equipment is not designed for larger inclinations and it is too wide for the subsequent Zugspitze Tunnel.
12, 14, 15 and 16
2006 was carried out with the four two-car 12, 14, 15 and 16 is another important modernization of the vehicle fleet. These bogies equipped with Jacob railcars can the full itinerary. They also provide - for the first time at the BZB - a transitional option between the two trailers. The vehicles produced by Stadler Rail among factory numbers L4122 / L4122 1 /4 offer a power of 6 × 300 kW, the maximum corresponds to the railcar 10 and 11 The 30.6 -meter-long and 65 -ton vehicle has 106 seats. On 22 June 2006, the first of this two-car train was delivered on three flatbed trucks in Garmisch, October 8, 2006, the first public ride took place.
The vehicles had been ordered just before Christmas 2003.
For operating debut in 1930 also 18 four-axle passenger cars had been delivered. They wore the running numbers 1 to 19, the number 13 - which is regarded as misfortune and conspiracy number - was not awarded. The 10.9 meter long and 8.7 ton car offer 54 seats. In 1959 some of them were rebuilt as Vorstellwagen for railcars. Today there are the non- rebuilt cars 1 and 2 for use on the valley section, the carriage 3, 4, 11 and 18 for the total distance; and 1980 to control car converted and umgenummerten carriage 21 (formerly 6) and 22 (formerly 17).
Goods and service vehicles
Wagons are now available: The four-axle tower and rescue vehicle 1, the four-axle rail car 2, the two-axis "G " cars 3 ( he owns a refrigeration unit and transported food to the Zugspitze ) and the two -axle flat cars 4 and 5 car 6 is a four-axle flat car with a fixed fuel tank, number 7, the former snowblower. Carriage 9, a four-axle ballast cars, was traded to the Brohltalbahn. Carriage 10 is a 1991 -built four-axle flat wagon and point 11, the new snow blower of 1999.
Current inventory and operating program
Of the Tallokomotiven are with Lok 1 and 4 two more operational, but they are almost exclusively used to Verschubdiensten Grainau. On the route they are practically only before special services, such as the summer of 2005 driven vintage trains. Lok 2 stands as a monument in the town square of Partenkirchen, just off the main road 2
The two mountain locomotives 14 and 15 are operational, the latter comes with the vintage trains during the summer season even before passenger trains to use. With supply drives the engines of that happening regularly on the Zugspitze.
The locomotives 3 and 11 stand as monuments from the traffic center of the Deutsches Museum in Munich since April 2008.
From the first railcar generation is only the 2000 at all examined with great effort railcars 2 in regular use. The railcar No. 3 and the sidecar No. 3 were transported on 27 February 2007 on the site of the former railway building yard at Nuremberg, where initially placed on a specially built track section. The train is to be rendered in the apprentice workshop and possibly go from 2008 in Nuremberg Zoo on the Hill restaurant. Railcars 4 was sold to a private individual and is south of Weilheim in Oberbayern in polling.
The railcar 5, 6, 10, 11, 12-16 and 309 are in regular use.
Railcar 309 is used today mostly associated with the two Vorstellwagen as a three-piece set. This usually occurs at peak load days on the valley portion to release a railcar for the Bergabschitt.
Since autumn 2006, the two-car ride in low and normal audience sand rank again from Garmisch to Zugspitzplatt change trains through. The three rounds required for this can be occasionally driven with two coupled railcars as multiple units. Only during peak load periods is given to the two-car one on the rack section and especially on the busiest section above Eibsee. The bottom portion is then served by railcar 309, Grainau may have to change. This is converted by the 2000 platform now possible comfortably on the opposite platform.
A special feature of the Zugspitze Railway is the so-called Zweizugbetrieb with particularly large crowds. Here, two trains will share a train path by following each other in the viewing distance.
As one of the few non-federally owned railways (NE), the Bavarian Zugspitze Railway is not integrated into the so-called non- tariff offense. In exchange traffic between Deutsche Bahn AG and the Bavarian Zugspitze Railway can not be acquired through tickets according to the nationwide valid transport conditions of the Deutsche Bahn AG.
Former station names
Some stations of the Bavarian Zugspitze Railway changed their names over time. They used to be called as follows:
- Garmisch: Garmisch -Partenkirchen
- Rießersee: Rießersee B.Z.B.
- Kreuzeckgruppe / Alpspitzbahn: Kreuzeckbahn valley station
- Hammerbach: Hammerbach (Hell )
- Grainau Grainau ( Badersee )
- Schneefernerhaus: Hotel Schneefernerhaus