The monastery was founded in 1146 ( as the vast reading, according to others already in 1143 ) by William of Ypres, Earl of Kent, an illegitimate descendant of the Counts of Flanders, founded on a royal estate as a daughter house of Clairvaux Abbey Primary. It was because of his grace crucifix ( " rood of Grace" ), the miracles were attributed to a place of pilgrimage. 1171 the abbot took part in the funeral of the murdered Thomas Beckett. From Boxley was the daughter of founding Robertsbridge Abbey. The monastery was built in the late 12th century after the Bernhardi niches plan, but with the refectory parallel to the southern cloister wing and not at right angles to it. The cloister was at least partially rebuilt in the late 14th century. The evaluated with an annual yield of 208 pounds monastery was dissolved in 1538, and this is a mechanical device to have been discovered in the grace crucifix. The monastic estates were handed over to Sir Thomas Wyatt. Subsequently, the west wing was rebuilt in the 19th century to a significantly reduced mansion, and the other parts of the monastery were mostly canceled.
Buildings and plant
Preserved are parts of the longhouse and the side walls of the side aisles of the cross-shaped, rectangular closed church with three chapels on the East Side of the transept. The presbytery is marked by tailored yew. The exam was south of the church with chapter house and monastic hall in the east and refectory and calefactory in the south. The barn from the 13th century and parts of the gatehouse are obtained. The floor plan was 1971/72 excavated.