Deborah Frances Tannen ( born June 7, 1945 in Brooklyn, New York City ) is an internationally known American sociolinguist and bestselling author. She is a professor of linguistics at Georgetown University.
Tannen graduated in 1962 her High School Diploma at the Hunter College High School in New York. She then studied at Harpur College (now Binghamton University) English Literature. At the bachelor's degree in 1966 at Harpur College was followed four years later the master at Wayne State University. Following Tannen studied linguistics at the University of California at Berkeley. Three years after the master was in 1979 a doctorate in linguistics Berkeley in the tray.
Tannen is mainly concerned with the use of language in everyday communication situations. The most famous book of the linguist is the popular scientific study, You Just Do not Understand. Women and Men in Conversation ( German: You can add me just do not understand why men and women talk past each other. ), Which was four years on the bestseller list of the New York Times and has now been translated into 30 languages . The study established Tannen's international reputation and gave the professor made numerous appearances as interviewee in television and radio broadcasts. In addition to linguistic studies published firs poems, short stories and plays.
By the year 2006, the list of publications Tannen has 20 monographs and over 100 articles. For their science linguist and literary scholar received five honorary doctorates. She is also a member of the Board of the PEN / Faulkner Foundation.
- And if thou wilt walk around? . Mosaic at Goldmann, 2006.
- I mean it but just good. How people talk past each other in families. Ullsteinhaus Hc, 2002.
- Let us argue correctly. From the creative use of useful contradictions. Goldmann, 2001.
- Job Talk. How women and men talk to each other in the workplace. Ernst cable Verlag, Hamburg 1995.
- That's what I do not say that! Communication problems in daily life. Ernst cable Verlag, Hamburg 1990.
- You can not understand me easily. Why do men and women talk past each other. Ernst cable Verlag, Hamburg 1986.
- Works by or about Deborah Tannen in the catalog that German national library
- Tannen's page at Georgetown University (English)
- University teachers ( Georgetown University)
- University teachers ( Princeton University)
- Born in 1945