E. Morton Jellinek
Life and work
Jellinek studied from 1908 to 1910 biostatistics and physiology at the Humboldt University in Berlin, following philosophy, philology, anthropology and theology at the University Joseph Fourier in Grenoble. From November 1911 to December 1914 he was enrolled at the University of Leipzig.
After his stay in Europe Jellinek operational biometric research in Sierra Leone, in Tela (Honduras ) and at Worcester Street Hospital in Boston. Only after he widemete to the study of alcoholism and conducted research from 1941 to 1952 as an associate professor at Yale University. He was then working for the World Health Organization in Geneva. From 1958 he continued his research in Canada only, then at Stanford University continued.
Jellinek was one of the first researchers to recognize the disease nature of alcoholism. On him the still well-known classification of persons with alcohol problems strike after five categories of Alpha Epsilon back up. The drinking behavior of so-called alpha-and beta - drinker he described as a precursor of alcoholism, gamma, delta and epsilon - drinker he described as alcoholic. In addition, Jellinek developed named after him questionnaire, in which one can judge by self-assessment, whether one is addicted to alcohol, and how far the disease has already progressed.
In his honor is awarded to research alcoholism since 1968 Jellinek Memorial Award for outstanding.
Writings (selection )
- Alcohol Explored. Doubleday, Doran & Co., Garden City, N. Y. 1942 ( along with Howard W.Haggard ).
- (Eds): Alcohol Addiction and Chronic Alcoholism ( Effects of alcohol on the individual; 1). Yale University Press, New Haven, N. Y., 1942.
- The Disease Concept of Alcoholism. 7th edition University Press, New Haven, Conn. 1983, ISBN 0-910724-12-1.
- Clinical Tests on Comparative Effectiveness of Analgesic Drugs. In: Biometrics Bulletin. Journal of the IBS, Vol 2 (1946 ), No. 5, pp. 87-91, ISSN 0099-4987.
- Phases in the Drinking History of Alcoholics. Analysis of a Survey Conducted by the Official Organ of Alcoholics Anonymous. In: Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol, Vol 7 (1946 ), pp. 1-88, ISSN 0033-5649.
- An outline of basic policies for a research program onproblems of alcohol. In: Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol, Vol 3 (1942 ), pp. 104-124, ISSN 0033-5649.