Echo (music award)
The Echo (own spelling ECHO ) is a German music award and is presented by the German Phono Academy annually since 1992. Design and naming of the price submitted by Gerd Gebhardt and Oliver Renelt. The prize is not awarded by a jury, but based on the sales figures and chart positions.
On 18 May 1992, the Echo Pop was awarded before 450 invited guests in 15 different categories in Cologne in the flora for the first time. It was initiated by the Coordinating Committee of the German Phonoverbaende and implemented by the former CEO Gerd Gebhardt. Initially covered the Echo Pop from all genres of music. Thus, in the years 1992 and 1993, yet classical music artists were honored with the award of the Echo Pop. Since 1994, the ECHO Klassik is awarded in a special ceremony as the ECHO Pop annually in several categories. From 1994 to 2009, the jazz musicians were also awarded the ECHO pop, since 2010 they also like the classical musician to be awarded during a private meeting with the ECHO Jazz. During the first award only 15 echoes were distributed today over 100 annually echoes are awarded, so now more artists are awarded annually with an echo than a Grammy.
Appearance of the echo
For the preparation of the echo price of the inventor and namesake of Oliver Renelt is responsible, thus it is every year, the first person outside of the echo jury that knows the winners.
1991, at the age of 26 years, as a student Renelt took part in a tender that was awarded the German Phono Academy at the Hamburg College of Fine Arts. Mission was to create a new prize in the music industry. His first idea for the name of the prize was " Siren ", according to those beings with magical voices that had drawn almost under her spell Odysseus, he would not have been tied to the mast of his ship. But he thought that " sirens " would not nowadays sound nice. So he came up with the idea of more "resonance", but in the end he decided on the name Echo.
After Renelt had found the right name, he tried at one point to draw a sketch matching with the appearance of the echo. His idea was: the echo as the artist outgoing waves (the artist = the ball in the left brace ), and these waves then return back to him as a success ( success = curved middle elements). He drew the sketch with pencil, to convey through the best the brightness of stainless steel, from its price should be crafted. At that time it was fashionable, prices to design plexiglass, but that felt Renelt as "non- valent enough." The jury announced its opinion and made him the winner. On the design Renelt worked for about a week.
Today he builds about 110 to 120 echoes annually: each price includes two kilograms and is 40 centimeters high, and each is worth about 500 euros. The items he can be poured at different companies, cut and engrave. In his workshop in Hamburg- Uhlenhorst he sticks them together then. Renelts job ends when the echoes are in the correct order behind the stage.
- Italy Kastel Spatzen
- Italy Cecilia Bartoli
- Germany Berliner Philharmoniker
- Germany Rammstein
- Germany Die Toten Hosen
- Concerto Köln, Germany
- Germany Herbert Grönemeyer
- Germany Anne- Sophie Mutter
- Italy Claudio Abbado
- Argentina Daniel Barenboim
- Germany Helene Fischer
- Russia Anna Netrebko
- United States Murray Perahia
- Germany Berlin Radio Choir
- Germany Christian Zacharias
- Germany Ensemble Modern
- United States Hilary Hahn
- Latvia Mariss Jansons
- Germany Marius Müller -Westernhagen
- Germany Thomas Quasthoff
- Germany Silver Moon
- Germany Andrea Berg
- Italy Andrea Bocelli
- United States Eminem
- United States Renée Fleming
- China People's Republic of Lang Lang
- Germany Peter Maffay
- Germany Sabine Meyer
- Germany the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
- Artist with the most awards in one evening:
- Most winners in a category:
- Most winners in a category one after another:
- Artists who managed all three ECHO Awards (jazz, classical and pop ) to get at least one:
- When ECHO Pop Awards 2005, Thomas D gave its echo, which he had won in the category with the Fantastic Four " Artists / or in group ( Hip- Hop / R & B) " to Sido.
- In the ECHO Jazz Awards 2011, the German Jazz musician Manfred Eicher leaned his echo, he was to receive for his life's work from.
Echo Hall of Fame
- 2012: United States Whitney Houston
- 2010: United States Michael Jackson