Saarinen was the son of Eliel Saarinen, a very well known architect. 1923 the family emigrated to the United States Saarinen. The family lived on the campus of Cranbrook Educational Community in affluent Bloomfield Hills; the father himself had designed the architecture of this campus.
From 1929 to 1930 Eero Saarinen studied sculpture at the Académie de la Grande Chaumiere in Paris. This was followed from 1930 to 1934 to study architecture at Yale School of Art and Architecture at. He then joined the architectural practice of his father, and in 1941 there partner. In 1940 he took part in a competition organized by the Museum of Modern Art in New York with Charles Eames. Several of her designs, including the Organic Chair, won in the various categories.
In 1948, he won his first major public recognition with the competition for the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial in St. Louis. There he competed against internationally renowned architects, including even against his own father. The huge double arch was Eero Saarinen's death, but only after 1963, is completed.
In 1950 he opened his own architectural office Eero Saarinen and Associates in Birmingham, Michigan. In 1957 he designed the Milwaukee Art Museum.
Saarinen initially looked strong in the strict cubic forms of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, before he found more expressive forms over time, strongly reminiscent sketches of Erich Mendelsohn. We are especially famous its sweeping cantilevered roof structures.
Outbuildings Eero Saarinen also designed furniture. Famous is his one-legged " Tulip chair " (Tulip Chair ) with its wide, circular base and the Womb Chair in the year 1948.
In the competition for the Sydney Opera House from 1956 to 1957 Eero Saarinen was the chairman of the jury. He should have given the competition a decisive turn by promoting the already rejected draft Jørn Utzon eventual champion between the records of days and recommended to the attention of the jury.
After the death of Eero Saarinen and his collaborators Kevin Roche John Dinkeloo led under his own name until 1966, the Office continued (after renaming to Kevin Roche John Dinkeloo & Associates) and were responsible for the completion of the work begun.
- General Motors Technical Center, Warren, Michigan, 1949-1956
- Kresge Auditorium at MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1953-1955
- Trans World Airlines Terminal (TWA Flight Center ) at John F. Kennedy Airport, New York, posthumously, 1956-1962
- Suspended roof at Dulles International Airport, Washington, DC, posthumously, 1958-1962
- John Deere and Company Administrative Center, Moline, Illinois, posthumously, 1957-1963
- Terminal Hellenikon East at Athens airport Ellinikon, 1960-1963
- Thomas J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York, 1961
- American Embassies London and Oslo
- Jefferson National Expansion Memorial ( " Gateway Arch " ), St. Louis, posthumously, 1963
MIT Chapel, exterior
MIT Chapel, inside
Ingalls Skating Hall of Yale University
Dulles International Airport