- Thüringer Bahn ( KBS 580, KBS 605)
- Sangerhausen Erfurt ( KBS 595 )
- Nordhausen, Erfurt ( KBS 601)
- NBS Erfurt-Leipzig/Halle ( from 2015 )
- NBS Ebenfeld -Erfurt ( from 2017 )
The Erfurt Hauptbahnhof is one of the important nodal points of the German railways. The state of Thuringia is connected from Erfurt star-shaped with numerous branch lines to the long distance network. The station had in 2006 about 12.5 million passengers, which are on average about 34,000 per day. It lies on the Thuringian Railway from Halle to Bebra and is operational center of the railroad track.
It was rebuilt from 2002 to 2008, to link the long-distance lines Berlin- Frankfurt- Munich and Dresden each other after the completion of the high-speed line Nuremberg -Erfurt and the new line Erfurt-Leipzig/Halle.
- 3.1 Highway
- 3.2 Regional Transport
Location in urban space
The Erfurt Hauptbahnhof is located in the Old Town district 500 meters south of Angers on the former ramparts of the 14th century. To the south it borders on the districts of Löbervorstadt and Daberstedt. The shunting and freight station and the operating systems of the central station are to the east in the Krämpfervorstadt. There and in Daberstedt once hosted numerous railwaymen apartments. The station itself is bounded on the south by the flood ditch and on the north by Willy -Brandt-Platz. Under the railway station leads through the Bahnhofstrasse, which serves the public transport of the city. There pervert the tram lines 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6, and city bus lines. More buses on 150 meters northeast of the station located bus station in the mayor -Wagner- Straße. In the adjacent Kurt- Schumacher-Straße are the car access to the station, parking, taxi rank and the Inter City Hotel. The old railway hotel, the Erfurt yard, served in March 1970 to Erfurt summit between Willy Brandt and Willi Stoph. Today it is used as a commercial building.
The Erfurt Hauptbahnhof learned several new and renovated buildings throughout history.
The location of the newly built Erfurt station was controversial. Within the city of Erfurt mounting surfaces were present only in very limited circumstances and outside the city walls stood with his Krämpferfeld east gate of Schmidtstedter a suitable space available. However, the Erfurt Mayor Karl Friedrich Wagner argued for a location within the city fortifications and the Prussian authorities and the military demanded a history of the railway line through the ramparts, so that they could stop the train operating in crisis situations. In July 1845 finally made the decision to station within the fortress walls to create the north of the high battery.
The first station was built in 1846 during the construction of the Thuringian path through the Thuringian Railway Company. Due to the chosen location and the construction of two double tunnel through the rampart and several wooden bridges over the moat was necessary. The opening on April 1, 1847 were at the same time with the Weimar -Erfurt section all the buildings completed by the reception building, which was completed in 1852. In addition to the still unfinished reception building possessed the station opening on a locomotive building, a goods shed, a carriage house, a Koksschuppen, a coach house for spare locomotives and operating a workshop. Only a few years after the opening of the facilities no longer met the growing Anfordernissen. Two 1850 planned building, the additional freight and carriage house were completed in 1854. An enlargement of the roundhouse was necessary in 1852 and in 1855 the freight station was expanded. A year later, the wing of the depot site was given another floor, the Koksschuppen could be converted to coal in a locomotive shed together with great hub to change the furnace.
In 1860 was followed by a further expansion of freight transport systems. The two existing goods shed were expanded and rebuilt a third. The lack of space within the fortifications made itself increasingly felt, however, and so the Thuringian Railway Company acquired in 1865 in front of the gate Schmidtstedter a large area to build a freight depot. Due to the German war in 1866, the start of construction was delayed, and in the following year, construction work could begin. In 1872, the freight station was put into operation after the goods shed were implemented in the previous year; the entire project was completed, however, until five years later in 1877.
The opening from the Erfurt main station timetable valid saw four trains daily between Halle and Erfurt, with a journey time of three to three and a half hours ago. Ten years later, in the summer of 1857, reversed two express trains, three passenger trains and a mixed train daily between Halle and Eisenach Erfurt.
On August 17, 1869, the Nordhausen - Erfurt Railway Company opened the railway line Nordhausen to Erfurt. Erfurt endpoint was initially Nordhäuser station on the Schmidtstedter field; However, it existed from the beginning a transfer track to the Thuringian Railway Company train station and in 1872 drove passenger trains through there. The Nordhäuser station served from now on only the freight and its reception building is now a residence. The railway line Sangerhausen Erfurt ended after Erföffnung of the section to Erfurt on October 24, 1881 beginning at an own railway station, the railway station Sangerhäuser. He was not far from the North railway station and houses was involved in the Thuringian railway station a few years later through the existing branch track since 1863, the Thuringian railway to the Royal Salt Mine Ilversgehofen. Also the Sangerhäuser station then served exclusively to freight.
The three-storey reception building of the first railway station of Erfurt is still standing and is now used by the Deutsche Bahn AG. It is located west of present-day central station and wearing a white / olive color. Earlier, with the low building on Bahnhofstrasse, its tower was visible from afar. What was important, you could see him also on the ramparts. The building was in operation from 1847 to 1890, and later became the seat of the Reichsbahn Erfurt.
The second main station building was constructed from 1887 to plans by the railroad inspector Edward wedge and the government architect Otto Erlandsen and put into operation in 1893. It is located 30 meters east of the first station building and was an island station consisting of the station vestibule at the station square with shops and switches as well as the reception building between the tracks. The buildings were designed in the style of historicism, texting and brickwork with yellow and red sandstone robes. The tracks were on an embankment, the former rampart, set high.
The station was on the south side of the platform 5 and 6, the continuous main track from Bebra to hall and on the north side of the platforms 1 and 2, the track in the opposite direction. In 1912, an additional switch was installed on the platform 1, which was a possibility after another to set up two trains at the platform 1 and 2. There were two tracks, which lay on the north side and served as a freight train through ruts from the freight station Erfurt to Neudietendorf. The eastern stub tracks at platform 4 were for the trains to and from Sangerhausen and the adjacent platform 3 for the trains to and from Nordhausen and Bad Langensalza. The Western stump tracks at platform 2 and 6 were used mostly for trains to and from Arnstadt to continue toward Suhl, Ilmenau or Saalfeld. Additionally, there was on the south side still the island platform 7 with through tracks for trains heading east to Weimar, which was built in 1940/ 1941. The platform name was valid until 1975. Afterwards, there was a new numbering, as each track had received at a platform, its own platform number. 1992 was finally adopted the name of the track instead of the platform of the German Federal Railroad. This was somewhat problematic because the in-house track numbers do not correspond to the numbers in the excellent platform security technology.
The station was on the south side at the west entrance of the interlocking Ew and at the east exit, the rider Interlocking He. Additionally, there was between the tracks 5 and 8 fungal interlocking There on the porch and the small Ev ( "Bird's Nest "). The electrification of the railway tracks was 1967.
This second building was in its original form until the year 2000. From him only is the entrance hall, which was integrated into the new, third station.
The station was from 2002 - after the demolition of the silhouette until then determining historic island building - extensively modernized and officially opened to traffic on 13 December 2008, with not all the conversion work had been completed. The cost of the conversion should be about 260 million euros. The Free State of Thuringia and the city of Erfurt to it involved with 44 million euros.
The zoning approval for the conversion was adopted mid-1990s. The first sod was committed on 22 September 2001. The newly built railway lines include 21 platform tracks at 12 platforms and 67 points. In the course of construction, six railway bridges were built. Among the railways a " service center " was built on an area of around 3,000 m². Below this shopping center is a parking garage. Both facilities have been reduced in the course of planning in size.
For the main station an open competition was realized with town-planning ideas competition. In autumn 1995, a eleven-member jury selected a total of 123 works submitted from the winning design for the transformation of the station. Citizen protests against the demolition of the historic island building, supported by a historian of the Bauhaus- University Weimar, you have not considered.
In September 1995, the zoning approval for the conversion of the railway junction was adopted. The planned measures included five km track, 46 kilometers of driving lines and the renewal of eight railway bridges.
On 26 March 1998, the agreement on funding for reconstruction was closed. The planned total cost was around 207 million DM Work should begin in the fall of 1999 and be completed in 2003. Before the start of large-scale construction of an electronic interlocking ( CBI ) has taken control of the railway junction Erfurt in operation in the spring of 1999 initially. About the facility, which replaced eight to 92 -year-old signal boxes, controlled start of operations up to three Dispatchers 155 turnouts, signals 154 and 119 additional signals. The CBI is now operated remotely from the control center of Leipzig. The new facility replaced eight interlocking systems; the oldest was from 1907. Such early completion was necessary because there is a ban on rebuilding the old fuse technology.
After eight months of construction, the renovated station building was put into operation on 21 August 2002. The calculated with around 250 million euro construction work should be completed at this time until 2006.
With the extensive renovation of the Erfurt main station was started in 2002. Here, a comprehensive redesign of the tracks was made as well as the existing station building ( partial) and the underpass of the station road demolished. Through the conversion of Erfurt Hauptbahnhof to particular future may fulfill the function of a node between the high-speed lines Nuremberg -Erfurt and Erfurt-Leipzig/Halle. A key objective of planning was to link the ICE line between Munich and Berlin with the ICE line between Frankfurt and Dresden and shorten travel times by holding correspondence.
In the meantime, rested the works for two years, as it was unclear whether the two adjoining Erfurt high-speed lines projects would be realized.
The new building of the station took place in several sections, as the trains had to be fully maintained. For this purpose, a temporary platform for the additional track 7a was first built on the south side of the station. Were realized island platforms with nine through tracks and four tracks stump. The two remote platforms outside 1/2 and 9/10 have a length of 420 meters. The most northerly lying track, a drive-through track for freight trains could not be realized after the track distance had proved inadequate.
The two-span, 154 meter long hall roof consists of a nave of 20 meters and a nave 65 meters span, with a maximum height of around 20 meters. The originally planned length was 190 meters. During the reconstruction of the 2.5 -kilometer area nodes is soundproofing walls were built with a total length of approximately 3.0 kilometers.
The timetable change in December 2005, the north side of the main station was officially put into operation. It consisted of a "half" glass hall upstairs which. Newly opened northern island platform with tracks 1 and 2 and partially straddles the middle platform, as well as the shopping arcade on the ground floor and the garage
The total planned cost was at this time at 260 million euros. They were coated by the Free State of Thuringia, the state capital Erfurt, the German Railways.
The next part of the opening was held on 3 June 2007. As part of a 44- hour full closure while the northern part of the central railway platform with track 3, and the four new tracks stump track 4 and 5 were put into operation on the eastern as well as 6 and 7 at the western end of the platform. In the final stage of construction was to March 2008, the old southern part of the track area (old tracks 5, 6, 7 and 7a) demolished including the remaining old overpass. Thereafter, the rest of the roof glass and the underlying platforms built with the tracks 8, 9 and 10. The commissioning took place on 30 November 2008 after a 27- hour full closure. Here, the southern remote platform 9 was initially taken as 320 meters long head platform without catenary in operation and the platform 10 is connected temporarily, will be constructed until two subsequent bridge structures in the eastern exit. These were advertised in February 2009 and should be built between August 2009 and November 2010.
End of May 2012, more tracks of the new lines have been integrated east and west of the main train station with a length of 12 kilometers in the course of a 64- hour total closure. Even the platforms 9/10 are now connected both sides and available in full length of 420 meters as ICE platforms. Furthermore, the new south entrance was handed over to the flood ditch the use and design of the new waiting room.
East of the Central Station, in Daberstedt creates a crossing structure, were to cross the tracks of the routes of Sangerhausen and Wolkramshausen height freely on the long-distance trains to the new line to Leipzig. At Pentecost 2013, the building is taken in the context of a further blocking of the node into operation. The fünfgleisige commissioning west of the main station is then provided.
For the integration of the two new lines a total of nine full closures are planned. Planned 480 million Euro total costs were invested until May 2012 336 million euros.
The sweep speed should be up to 100 km / hr after completion of the construction. The two new lines are not connected to each other via fast motorable tracks. In a second stage, the two lines should be level freely imported and exported into the station. Due to lack of funds this expansion is only provided as an option, be kept clear for the corresponding surfaces.
By the year 1945, the station was an important national focal point on the east-west route, which connected Berlin with Frankfurt am Main and Central Germany with the Ruhr. So there was only 1939 a day three compounds with remote high-speed railcars to Frankfurt ( "Flying Frankfurt " ) and two to Berlin. This had to Frankfurt a cruising speed of 106 km / h In addition, wrong direction alone Bebra about 30 other high-speed, express and passenger trains. Additionally, there was south through the Thuringian Forest to Würzburg a distance express, four express trains and one express train.
This national importance in the east-west and north -south traffic had lost by its border situation between 1945 and 1990 the station. However, he continued to be the main hub in Thuringia. After reunification, the importance of the station for the German domestic traffic increased again. In long-distance traffic, the volume of weekly commuters from East Germany to work in the south and west of the country is large, while the most important transport link goes to the neighboring cities of Weimar and Jena, where in addition to the approximately 40,000 students of the three cities, commuters represent a large group.
With the commissioning of new Ebensfeld -Erfurt in December 2017 nodes of the basic interval timetable to be set up in Erfurt. For symmetry minute 30 - with scheduled arrivals or departures between minutes 24 and 36 - are each four ICE Dresden, Frankfurt, Munich and Berlin are at the main train station. Regional trains will arrive and depart each verge shortly thereafter. The regional traffic is to arrive 5 to 15 minutes before the arrival of long-distance trains from Dresden, Berlin, Munich and Frankfurt in Erfurt Hauptbahnhof.
After planning as of August 2013, the station doing odd hour long-distance trains from Berlin / Halle ( line 28.1, to Nuremberg / Munich), Berlin / Leipzig ( line 11, direction Frankfurt / Stuttgart ) to Leipzig / Dresden ( line 50, from Frankfurt am Main) and to Leipzig / Berlin ( line 28.2, from Nuremberg / Munich) linked together. In the even hour terminals are provided in the respective opposite direction. Two hourly connections from the regional transport of Weimar and Gera / Jena are provided; hourly connections from these lines will be sought in the further planning process, according to the Deutsche Bahn. The minimum transition time should be ten minutes.
With the commissioning of new lines, the number of daily passengers is expected to rise to 45,000.
In the interval timetable run (as annual timetable 2014) in Erfurt following lines of long distance traffic:
On 2 September 2009, the Erfurt main station was awarded by Pro-Rail Alliance, titled Station of the Year 2009 in the category " big city train station ."