The point ASCII value 46 (hexadecimal 2E), is used in typography as punctuation. The character is used in several situations:
- Ends a declarative sentence Today the weather is beautiful.
- Marks the end of a set piece What do you think? All right.
- Stands for shortcuts that are pronounced " For As "will ," pronounced as ".
- Is used in the marking of numbers that specify a position in a bulleted or quantity " The 13th of December," is pronounced " The thirteenth December ".
- Forms three consecutive written called an ellipsis ( "..."); Ellipsis points indicate, for example, one or more omitted words of a quotation or a speech demolition I think ...
- Is used in many ( subject-specific ) cases for the separation of data. For example, for dates, URLs or IP addresses IP address: 184.108.40.206
- Is used in Germany and Austria to separate the thousands place in numbers, in order to improve their readability. However, the number remains the same 100,000 = 100000
- Is used in many English-speaking countries as the decimal separator ( in Switzerland in this function only in monetary terms ) 123.45 = 123 decimal 45
- Separates hours and minutes in time information 10.30 clock
After a point end of a sentence, separator or cut-off point is usually followed by a space (except, for example, if after a clamp is closed). If a declarative sentence be emphasized, or is it an exclamation, you use an exclamation point instead of the point. Ends of the declarative sentence with an abbreviation, the point satisfies the abbreviation, it is set no further point.
Official definition of the rules
The final point
The final point is at the end of a whole set.
According to records
West winds usually bring rain. - Today it is raining, but tomorrow the sun will shine again hopefully.
After - dependent question, exclamation, request, and command sets
The father ordered him to return immediately. - He asked me what my name is. - You called to me that I should stop.
After requesting records
After requesting records that are spoken without emphasis: Please give me the book. - See (see) § 17 of the Income Tax Act. - Here is set to not ring. - Thou shalt be silent.
The cut-off point
That is, - etc. - etc. - MD - Univ. -Prof. - Page 9 - AD Born If a cut-off point at the end of the block, it also serves as a final point: names of several old coins are: Gulden, cruisers, chunk, Credits, etc.
The point of order
The atomic number is set by point numbers, which stand for atomic numbers: Joseph II (read: Joseph II, Joseph the Second, Joseph the Second ); Joseph II (read: Joseph II ); November 28, 1977; 4 Exam, 2nd edition.
If a point of order at the end of a sentence, he also serves as a final point.
The Dezimalgliederungspunkt is generally between the sites of a breakdown " decimal " ( in section numbers ) set such as in a chapter: 1.4 (read: one four).
The point in time timetable information
13:20 = 13 clock 20 minutes ( a colon is considered here and is an exclusion rule: 13:20 )
No point is set
- By name on business cards and letterheads,
- After addresses, headings,
- After book, article and newspaper titles and their separate parts, which are in any case clearly distinguished by the arrangement,
- By independent dates,
- By signatures and the like. ,
- In a given sentence, unless it is the end of the overall sentence.
The point as a distinguishing mark
The numbers six and nine, in cases that a mutual confusion can be given ( imprints, lots, etc.), recreated a point in the rule. Example: "6 " on the Loskugel the lottery.
Representation of the point
When zoomed in at beginning of the article, the point is mapped. But also circular dots occur, especially in handwritten notes. In some Asian languages, especially in the Japanese and Chinese, a small circle is used in place of a completed point used. (.)