Gailingen on the High Rhine is a municipality in the district of Konstanz in Baden- Württemberg. Gailingen is a nationally recognized resort.
- 2.1 religions
- 3.1 municipal
- 3.2 Mayor
- 3.3 Partner community
- 3.4 Coat of Arms
- 4.1 Education
- 5.1 Structures
- 5.2 memorials
- 5.3 Nature
- 6.1 freeman
Gailingen is between 400 ( the Rhine ) and 630 meters ( Rauhenberg ) above sea level. The village center is located on a river terrace of the Rhine and extends over large parts of the southern slope of the rough hill, with remains of castle " Bürglischloss " and the castle Rauhenberg can be found.
The municipality is bordered to the north by the part of the municipality Gottmadingen Randegg village, on the east by the Swiss municipalities book and Ramsen in the canton of Schaffhausen, in the south of the city in the canton of Thurgau Diessenhofen and to the west by Doerflingen in the canton of Schaffhausen. After a 800 -meter wide piece of Swiss territory, the boundaries of the German exclave Biisingen is achieved in the West as well, which is halfway to Schaffhausen.
The municipality Gailingen on the High Rhine include the village of Gailingen, the hamlet Obergailingen and the houses hole mill Rheinburg and Rheinhalde and coastal. Within the area are the disposed villages Aufhofen, Gaishütte and Hofstetten.
Gailingen was first mentioned in 965. The name goes back to an Alemannic tribe leader Gailo who has the place well founded in the 5th century. The place belonged first to the Lords of Gailingen, the putative builders of Bürglischlosses before he came under the sovereignty of the Habsburgs in 1465. As part of the field changes by the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss the community in 1806 fell to the Grand Duchy of Baden.
A special Gailingens was for centuries the high Jewish population. After the end of the Thirty Years' War, the first Jewish settlement was the 1657 been allowed that two decades later, the charitable brotherhood Chevra Kadisha founded and started the construction of a well-preserved to this day the Jewish cemetery. 1830 was consecrated in Gailingen, which was from 1827 to 1925 the seat of a Bezirksrabbinates, a synagogue, which had survived until the 1938 Kristallnacht; it was blown up on 10 November as well as the synagogues of Konstanz, cheeks and Gottmadingen by the SS Verfügungstruppe III. / ' Germania ' in Radolfzell. In the mid-19th century, half of the inhabitants Jewish citizens (1862 990 against 982 Christians ). From 1870 to 1884, the total community had a Jewish mayor, Leopold Guggenheim. Gailingen at that time was not only the second largest municipality in the country county Nellenburg ( Stockach and before Radolfzell and singing ), but also had one of the largest Jewish Communities bathing. The community lives under the baton of famous rabbis and teachers created religious and social institutions ( Council and school house, central water supply, hospital, nursing home ) was until the time of National Socialism as exemplary.
Gailingen forms with Büsingen and Gottmadingen an Agreed administrative matters.
The local elections of 7 June 2009 resulted in a turnout of 54.5 % ( 2.7 ) to the following result:
1 For electoral associations, the statistical office of no separation according to individual lists.
Mayor of Gailingen Heinz Brennenstuhl. He has held the office since May 12, 1986.
With Liebschützberg in Saxony Gailingen is twinned
Coat of arms
Blazon: "Divided of blue and silver, pile- up, three left -turned -ended four golden stag antlers, below a red ragged lion's head. "
Economy and infrastructure
Since 1950, Schmieder clinics exist, since 1972, the youth work - both neurological rehabilitation centers ( the early work for children and young people).
Since 1977, the community is recognized as a resort by the state.
The municipality has with the High Rhine school Gailingen a primary and secondary school.
Culture and sights
The municipality has a number of interesting Gailingen, including exhibit also landmarked architectural buildings. Among the most important buildings include:
- The Nicholas chapel from the 12th century in Obergailingen
- Built in the Gothic Revival 1907-1911 Catholic parish church of St. Dionysius,
- The Mansion ( formerly the Jewish school house ) with the adjacent synagogue memorial place,
- The Jewish cemetery from the 18th century,
- Built around 1750 Liebenfelsische castle,
- 1866 built as a country house in the Neo-Renaissance villa Rheinburg,
- Several historical wine trotting, for example,, dating back to 1564, " Randegger wine cellar" and the former " monastery Trotte in the riser " from the 17th century, as well as
- The covered wooden bridge across the Rhine to the Swiss city Diessenhofen.
In the Jewish cemetery below the Bürgli Castle recalls since 1948 a memorial stone to the Gailinger Jews who were deported in 1940, in the Wagner Bürckel action to the concentration camp Gur and the Holocaust were killed. On Synagogenplatz the citizenry intends with a memorial stone and a plaque of 1938 destroyed synagogue of the Jewish community since 1976. The Jewish cemetery was established about 1650. The oldest grave stone dates from 1695; so far the last burial was in 1980; he is one of the 1,244 grave stones.
The Mansion Gailingen, formerly the Jewish school and community center is now used among other things as a documentation center of Jewish History and Culture at Lake Constance and Upper Rhine.
Besides the beautiful surroundings and close proximity to Switzerland lure in summer mainly the Rhine- lido and shipping. Also, is grown on the southern slopes in Gailingen to around 18 hectares of vineyards. The section of the High Rhine, is situated on the Gailingen - Discontinued from Lake Constance ( submarine ) to the Rhine Falls near Schaffhausen - one of the most beautiful rivers in Europe.
Located high above the village of viewpoint Bürglischloss with the observation tower, developed in 1998. On a clear day you can see from Vorarlberg to the Bernese Alps.
Since 2004, the dry calcareous grassland in mountain Gailinger is a private nature reserve.
- Friedrich Georg Schmieder, Professor
- Ferdinand Kleibrink, pastor
- Leo Schreiber, two days made an honorary citizen after his 80th birthday.