Gresten is a market town with 1951 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013 ) in the district Scheibbs in Lower Austria.
- 2.1 Population development
Gresten located in Mostviertel in Lower Austria Eisenwurzen in the valley of the Little Erlauf 25 km upriver from Wiesel castle. The area of the municipality covers 3.82 square kilometers. 20.2 percent of the area is forested.
The municipality comprises the two villages (in brackets population as of 31 October 2011):
- Gresten ( 1709)
- Ybbsbachamt (257)
The municipality comprises the cadastral Gresten and Ybbsbachamt.
In ancient times, the area was part of the province of Noricum. The village was founded in 1200 by the present parish church of St. Nicholas. 1277 the village was first called the market. In the core Austrian state of Lower Austria lying the place told the eventful history of Austria.
1924 was built in Gresten of the city of Vienna, a substation, which combines the power plants of the Opponitz and Gaming ( Lower Austria ) and the storage power plant Partenstein (Upper Austria ) next electricity lines and will continue to Vienna.
According to the results of the 2001 census, there were 1,946 inhabitants. In 1991, the market town of 1,889 inhabitants in 1981 and 1,823 in 1971, 1,639 inhabitants.
- Mayor of the municipality is Wolfgang driving Berger, head of department is Hermione Hofner.
- In the market there are local council after the local elections of 14 March 2010, a total of 19 seats following distribution of seats: ten list SPÖ, ÖVP list nine, no other seats.
Culture and sights
Economy and infrastructure
Non-agricultural work places there were in 2001 110, agricultural and forestry holdings according to the 1999 survey 19
The number of persons employed at the residence was according to the 2001 census 888 The employment rate in 2001 was 47.32 percent.
The largest employer in the village is the metalworking industry.