Lunz am See
Lunz am See is a municipality with 1824 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013 ) in the district Scheibbs in Lower Austria.
Lunz am See is located in the Most district in Ybbstal in Lower Austria Eisenwurzen. The area of the municipality covers 101.41 square kilometers. 82.44 percent of the area is forested. The municipality is the Lunzer See. Lunz is an der Ybbs, which is called before Lunz Ois.
Katastralgemeinden are maple, Bodingbach, Hohenberg, Lunzamt, Lunzdorf, Seekopf and Weissbach.
Finds from the Neolithic Age, such as an approximately 4000 -year-old serpentine stone ax, evidence of early colonization. Later changed Illyrians, Celts, then the upper Ybbstal, followed by the Romans. The area of Lunz am See was part of the province of Noricum. The Celts and later the Romans built the " Noric iron " at the Styrian Erzberg from and shipped it over the pass of Mendling to Lunz and continues through the Bodingbachtal to the forges of Cetium (St. Pölten) and Arelape ( Poechlarn ).
During the Great Migration, the population interspersed occasionally with Avars and more with Slavs. Many people fled at this time from the crisscrossed by belligerent tribes Danube valley to the mountains, partly in the numerous caves in the northern foothills.
The sparsely populated country was at the time of the Carolingian Ostmark of the West, especially by the Bavarians, repopulated. As " Liunze in Montanis " - clearing in the mountains - the village was first mentioned in documents in 1203. 1340 acquires Duke Albrecht XI. the area around Lunz and it gives the monastery gaming.
1392 was followed by the first mention of the " Frauenkirche ze Lunz ", is worshiped in the "Mary in the golden chair". The construction of this church was made possible by the increasing economic strength, it emerged during this period, the first iron works, because the simple forging could not meet the increasing demand for economic goods. Lunz reached a local economic importance, overall a first period with the total iron road. From prosperity to the iron road still visible in the Amonhaus, the master Ofner was built in 1551 in Renaissance style.
Turkish incursions, pestilence and Reformation and Counter-Reformation, the wars against the French and Bavarians Chur and the Napoleonic invasions shook again and again the community. Both dialect and place names ( French Reith ) are influenced by it today.
In the 19th century, again a recovery was possible, the second bloom. The Scheibbser entrepreneur Andreas Töpper worked extensively in the marketing of metal products. 1832 an iron rolling mill was built, the energy demand was almost completely covered by the water power of the Ybbs. A stone bridge, the bridge Töpper, decorated with cast in Gußwerk at Mariazell saints testifies to the richness of the time the second flower.
Towards the end of the Nineteenth century, a standard gauge railway to be built as an extension of the Enns valley Erlauftalbahn. Was realized a narrow- gauge railway, which Ybbstalbahn that establishes the connection to the standard gauge Erlauftalbahn considerable gap between gaming and Lunz, connection to the Enns Valley is about Waidhofen an der Ybbs.
1932 here was measured in the sinkhole green hole with -52.6 ° C, the lowest temperature in Central Europe. Lunz am See is also known in modern times as one of the cold poles of Austria.
According to the results of the 2001 census, there were 2,045 inhabitants. In 1991, the market town of 2,154 inhabitants in 1981 and 2,218 in 1971, 2,301 inhabitants.
The council has 21 seats, mayor of the municipality is Ploderer Martin, Office Manager Thomas Weber.
In the municipal elections of 2005, the ÖVP and the SPÖ 11 reached 10 seats. In the municipal elections of 2010, the Social Democrats lost three seats to the ÖVP.
Culture and sights
Economy and infrastructure
Non-agricultural workplaces there were in 2001 105, agricultural and forestry holdings according to the 1999 survey 117 The number of persons employed at the residence was according to the 2001 census 881 The employment rate in 2001 was 43.86 percent.
- The Biological Station Lunz was founded in 1905 by Karl Kupelwieser and is regarded as the cradle of Limnology, extensive studies are conducted ever since. Biological Station GmbH worn, a collaboration between the University of Vienna, University of Natural Resources and the Danube University Krems - Currently this from the water cluster Lunz be.
- In 1948, the Institute of Apiculture, initially rented space in the premises of the Biological Station, was founded. Starting in 1970, housed in a separate building, it is now a part of the Agency for Health and Food Safety (AGES).