- ÖVP: 8
- Together for our Mariazell Template: Election chart / Maintenance / Symbol: 4
- SPÖ: 3
Mariazell is a city in the northern Upper Styria near the Lower- Austrian border, with 1463 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013). It is located in the judicial district of Bruck an der Mur and in the political district of Bruck- Miirzzuschlag. From 1 January 2015 it is affiliated under the Styrian municipality structural reform with the communities Gußwerk, Halltal and Saint Sebastian, the new community will be called " Mariazell ".
Mariazell is by the grace statue Magna Mater Austriae at the Basilica of the Nativity of Mary is by far the most important pilgrimage site in Austria and beyond for many Catholics in the eastern neighboring countries of importance. The winter sport is played in Mariazell.
- 2.1 Early time
- 2.2 Middle Ages
- 2.3 Modern Times
- 2.4 Second Republic
- 3.1 Demographics
- 4.1 Municipal Council
- 4.2 Coat of Arms
- 4.3 Regional Policy
- 4.4 Town twinning
- 6.1 basilica of Mariazell
- 6.2 pilgrimage routes
Mariazell is located in the area of the Northern Limestone Alps ( Türnitzer Alps) on a sloping plateau on the slope of Bürgeralpe. North-east of Mariazell is the Fadental.
The municipality comprises the two villages (in brackets population as of 31 October 2011):
- Mariazell ( 1413 )
- Rasing (79 )
The municipality comprises the cadastral Mariazell.
In pre-Christian times and in the first century after Christ, no major or closed communities are detectable in the valley of today's Mariazell country. However, the variety of the Illyrian- Celtic mountain and river names in the region, such as the Erlauf give evidence of small settlements of these tribes. Also, the Illyrians and Celts likely the salt springs in Halltal not have been unknown.
In the 1st century BC, the Romans the salt route from Halltal in the Traisental was already known, and according to some reports coming a Roman road linking Neuhaus existed on the Zellerrain and Brunnsteiner marble quarries in the Mariazell area.
In the 6th century AD took - under the rule of the Avars - the Slavs of the land, settled agriculture and operated here in the mountain region. Again, the distribution of this people can again prove due today existing local and mountain names (eg Oetscher - derived from the Alpine Slavic word " OCE " for " father ").
1025, Emperor Conrad II, his sister Beatrix - married Adalbero of Eppenstein - Parts of the county in Mürztale to the present. In the gift it was 100 Huben ( Low German " hooves " ), which included the territory of the later market Mariazell. Long-standing dispute processes were held to this donation before the Supreme Court and even before the Pope. The Archbishop of Salzburg Eberhard decided in 1151 in the matter in favor of the St. Lambrecht, which had founded the last Eppensteiner ( extinct 1122) in the years around 1100. It should be already come shortly after the division of the parish area of Mariazell and the rule Aflenz. From a document of Pope Adrian IV, we see the date December 21, 1157 - today, this day is traditionally celebrated as the anniversary of the founding of Mariazell, even if it is not historically verifiable.
1157 came the monk Magnus and his carved from linden wood statue of Mary in the Zeller and built around the standing on a tree stump Statue of the first chapel to the later grew the place. This had the legend divided by before a rock that blocked the way. From Mary in the cell ' was the name of Mariazell.
1344 the place to market has been charged. 1340-1380 changes were made in the Gothic style to the church.
1420 the Turks came the first time to Mariazell, where there is a fire in the village and the church. Another fire in 1474 destroyed the place. 1532 Turks came again to Mariazell and put several houses on fire. The church was spared this time.
1644 Baroque style of the church was initiated by Abbot Benedict Pierin and entrusted with the work of architect Sciassia. After his death, the works were continued by various builders and 1780 completed.
1679 Emperor Leopold I visited Mariazell grace mother and dragged in its wake by an infected valet the plague in Mariazell one. 156 people fell victim to the disease.
1683 the miraculous statue and the treasury image were taken to St. Lambrecht, from where this came back again in the same year for fear of the new Turkish invasion.
1742 gave the Empress Maria Theresa the Abbot Eugen Inzaghi privileges for ore mining in Gollrad and Aschbach, and for the construction and operation of Mariazell cast iron work. 1786 lifted Emperor Joseph II as part of his dissolution of the monasteries and the Abbey of St. Lambrecht on, which was also affected Mariazell. Pilgrimages were hampered and later entirely prohibited.
1798 devastated once again a major fire the place where mainly the Vienna road was affected. 1805 came at the Battle of Mariazell to hostilities with the French troops under Napoleon. 1809 church treasure from the French troops was taken to safety in Temesvár in Hungary. A few weeks later the French marched in Mariazell. Hostilities, requisition and crop failures led to the bleeding of the population in these years.
1816 was a veritable famine year. Archduke Johann was to introduce the potato and add arms lands in the area to combat hunger. 1818 bought Archduke Johann the Brandhof.
In 1827 it came in the Allerseelennacht the largest fire that incinerated almost the entire place and in which the church suffered severe fire damage. 1828-1832 was the place to be built with great effort and sacrifice again.
1892 a power plant was built and first supplied in the following years Mariazell with electric current in the disused drilling the iron works. In 1896 it was the construction of the first public water supply. 1898 Mariazell cast iron plant was shut down.
1907, the previously completed in Mariazell Railway was opened to public traffic. In 1911, the Mariazell Railway was electrified.
1924, the first festival were opened in the newly built Festspielhaus. 1925 saw the festival its peak. However, in subsequent years it came to the financial decline and the end of the Games.
1928 was built on the Bürgeralpe one of the first cable cars in Austria a gondola. In the same year the general water line was extended to the " student - source ".
1945 pulled the Red Army of the Soviet Union in Mariazell and took 5,000 men district, as part of Styria was the place but later in the British occupation zone.
1948 Mariazell became a town. A general church renovation took place from 1955 to 1957. In these years, the local bypass and a new post office were built.
1966 solved the Fathers of the pen Kremsmuenster the Fathers of the Schottenstift which the ecclesiastical line of Mariazell occupied since 1949, from. In subsequent years, extensive restoration work on the church and on the parish courtyard and the surrounding chapels were made and built the new rosary.
1976 Mariazell was an indoor pool and a few years later an extension to the main school.
In 1983, Pope John Paul II Mariazell. The papal altar was set up in the main square. As part of this major event complete facade renovation of the main square were made throughout the city, re-designed and created parking.
1990 was one of thanksgiving and freedom pilgrimage of the former Eastern Bloc countries instead of 25,000 participants.
In 1992, the transfer of the pilgrimage pastoral care of the Benedictine monks from Kremsmuenster in the custody of the founders pin and mother monastery of St. Lambrecht.
In 1988, the setting of the Mariazell Railway between Mariazell and Gußwerk.
2003 the demolition of the Mariazell Railway between Mariazell and Gußwerk.
2004: Central European Catholic - pilgrimage of the nations to Mariazell with more than 100,000 visitors.
2007: Bartholomew I, 270th Successor of the Apostle Andrew and Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, Opel, leader of 300 million Orthodox Christians, visited Mariazell.
From 12 to 15 August 2007, the Austrian bishops invited to a youth pilgrimage to Mariazell. Around 3,000 young people from Bosnia - Herzegovina, Croatia, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Hungary and Austria took part.
On September 8, 2007 Pope Benedict XVI visited. Mariazell to celebrate a religious service ( Vespers ) on the occasion of the 850th anniversary of the basilica.
- ÖVP: 8
- Together for our Mariazell Template: Election chart / Maintenance / Symbol: 4
- SPÖ: 3
The seats parameters is outdated and obsolete!
The council consists of 15 members and has been working for the municipal elections in 2010 mandatary of the following parties together:
- 8 Austrian People's Party (ÖVP ) - provides the Mayor and the Deputy Mayor
- 4 Together for our Mariazell
- 3 Social Democratic Party of Austria ( SPÖ)
Mayor Josef Kiss ( ÖVP).
City Council: The City Council consists of three members and shall be composed of the following councilors:
- Josef Kiss ( ÖVP) - Mayor
- Helmut Schweiger (ÖVP ) - Vice Mayor
- Walter Surböck ( Together for Mariazell ) - Finance Officer
Coat of arms
The coat of arms displays:
The municipality is part of the leader region Mariazellerland - Muerztal and a member of the Agenda 21 and the tourist region of Mariazell, the Styrian municipalities also Regionext small region form the name.
At the municipal structural reform 2010-2015 Mariazell is expected to merge with Gußwerk, Halltal and Saint Sebastian.
In cooperation Shrines of Europe Mariazell is connected with five other Marian shrines since 1996. These are:
- Altötting Germany ( Germany )
- Portugal Fátima (Portugal )
- Italy Loreto ( Italy)
- France Lourdes ( France)
- Poland Czestochowa ( Poland, Polish: Kraków)
- Street: Mariazell is located on the B 20 from St. Pölten on the Seebergsattel to Kapfenberg in Muerztal. To the east is through the Salzatal a road connection to wild Alps ( B 24, via the core Hofer Gscheid to St. Aegyd am Neuwalde, the Piestingtal and further in the Vienna Basin ( B 21 ) or via the Lahnsattel into Muerztal and after Miirzzuschlag (B 23).
- Railway: Mariazell is also the southern terminus of the Mariazell Railway; the train station is, however, one kilometers ( 15 minutes walk) from the town center in the municipality of Saint Sebastian. From this station also runs a museum tram to the nearby Erlaufsee. It is to this museum since 2007 an extension line from the station to the suburbs under construction.
- Cycle Route: Mariazell is next Traismauer an end point of Traisental Cycle Path
Culture and sights
Basilica of Mariazell
A gothic basilica from the 14th century. Note the magnificent Baroque interior and the three towers on the western front. The church houses in the so-called Chapel of Grace, the Magna Mater Austriae. In this picture of grace is a small wooden statue of Mary from the 13th century, which is clothed with a robe and glory in the popular piety of many Catholics from the entire Central European region plays a major role.
Numerous national and international pilgrimage routes leading to Mariazell. These are excerpts:
- Via Sacra of Vienna ( Vienna)
- Vienna Mariazellerweg of Vienna ( Perchtoldsdorf)
- Niederösterreichischer Mariazellerweg from the Waldviertel Freiwald
- Burgenländischer Mariazellerweg of Eisenstadt
- Salzburg Mariazellerweg of Salzburg
- Oberösterreichischer Mariazellerweg from Poestlingberg in Linz
- Carinthian Mariazellerweg of Klagenfurt
- Styrian Mariazellerweg of Eibiswald
- Mariazell Gründungsweg of St. Lambrecht
- International Marie pilgrimage I23 of Czestochowa