Heiner Brand on November 28, 2013 in Dusseldorf
As of October 27, 2013
Heiner Brand ( born July 26, 1952 in Gummersbach ) is a former German handball player. He was from 1 January 1997 to 30 June 2011 national coach of the German men's national handball team. His trademark is the walrus mustache. Since 1 July 2011, he is the manager of the German Handball Federation for the areas of youth development and sponsors. His contract runs until 2015. Moreover, he gives lectures and Others on team building.
Contrary to popular opinion, he was the first handball player who managed to be both as a player and as a coach world champion, that honor belongs to Peter Kretzschmar.
Career as a player
Heiner Brand joined at the age of seven years VfL Gummersbach. With him it was six times German Champion ( 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1982 and 1983) and took four times the DHB Cup ( 1977, 1978, 1982 and 1983); as was the VfL Gummersbach with him at international level successfully: European Cup Winners Cup Winners' Cup in 1978 and 1979, European Cup Winners ' Cup in 1974 and 1983, Super Cup winner 1979 and 1983 as well as IHF Cup Winners' Cup in 1982.
Fire was also successful in the national team, he scored a total of 131 international matches 231 goals, one of them a seven-meter. 1976 Olympic fire was fourth, in 1978, he was with the national champions. His first two international goals he scored in his first game for Germany on 1 July 1974 in Cholon against Israel.
Career as a coach
Heiner Brand was a long time coach at VfL Gummersbach ( 1987-91 and 1994-96 ). In between, he coached the SG Wallau Mass Home ( 1992-94 ). Prior to his time as a club coach he was assistant coach of the German national team ( 1984-87 ); this he coached from 1 January 1997. beginning of the new millennium, he led the national team to the top. After a runner-up 2002 European Championships and a runner-up 2003 World Cup won the DHB selection 2004, the European Championship and took in the same year at the Olympic Games in Athens, the silver medal. His greatest success achieved fire but in January and February 2007, when he won the Handball World Cup in their own country with the DHB team.
On 24 October 2007 Heiner Brands contract was renewed as coach of the national team with the DHB to 30 June 2013. However, it was announced on 16 May 2011 that Heiner Brand from the office of the national coach on June 30, 2011 will resign. The was preceded by a tenth place at the European Championships in 2010 and an eleventh place finish at the World Cup 2011 and thus the worst result in World Cup history of the German national team. As a reason for the resignation called fire -lasting disputes with coaches and club officials of the Handball Bundesliga, for example, the introduction of a quota for the use of German handball players in league matches. Fire in turn been accused of players and coaching colleagues in advance of the cancellation lack of self-criticism.
Since 1 July 2011, Martin Heuberger successor of Heiner Brand. Heuberger was since November 1, 2004 Wizard of Heiner Brand and co- coach of the German national handball team.
Success as a coach
Outside of sport
- 2009 Brand of the SPD was elected to the Federal Assembly. He did, however, in advance not Commit to select the SPD candidate Gesine Schwan.
- Fire participated in the 2009 advertising campaign of the Initiative New Social Market Economy part.
- Heiner Brand is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Bundesliga Foundation.
- Fire is also an entrepreneur and owns an insurance agency in Gummersbach. He is married and has two children. His older brothers Klaus and Jochen were also German handball player.
- Heiner Brand and Frank Faster: InTeam. Wero -Press Pfaffenweiler 2004, ISBN 3-937588-03-5 ( A biography of Heiner Brand )
- Heiner Brand and Frank Faster: On my way publishing the workshop Göttingen 2007 ISBN 3-89533-573-8
- Heiner Brand and Jörg Löhr: Project Gold. Gabal Verlag Offenbach 2008 ISBN 978-3-89749-797-9
- Heiner Brand: My game, my style. Philippka - Sportverlag Münster 2008 ISBN 978-3-89417-166-7 (handball textbook )
- Heiner Brand, Martin Heuberger, Klaus -Dieter Petersen, Ute Lemmel: Frame training concept of the German Handball Federation. For the training and development of young players Philippka - Verlag, 2009, ISBN 978-3-89417-183-4.