To dance he did not come until the age of 27. After dancing as a child, a role along with his twin sister and had graduated with 17 a course in Graham technique, he decided to first for the theater and studied from 1965 Theatre Studies at the Marie Borg Volks College. This was followed up in 1973 working for the puppet theater Marionetteatern and the Royal Drama Theatre in Stockholm ( inter alia with Ingmar Bergman ).
In 1972, Ek his dance training in 1972 again and joined the run by his mother Cullberg Ballet at. In 1975 he went to Dusseldorf as a dancer for the ballet of the Deutsche Oper in 1976 and created his first choreography for the Cullberg Ballet. From 1978, he shared with his mother's artistic director in the company and took it from 1985 to 1993 altogether.
Under the Company Ek with newly designed choreography for Giselle (1982) and Swan Lake ( 1987) was internationally known. 1980/81 he danced and choreographed also for the Nederlands Dans Theater. As Ek In 1993, the Cullberg Ballet, he wrote and choreographed dance with your neighbor ( Dan met Nästan ), in which he also directed. His next work was a dance-theater version of Don Juan by Molière.
This was followed by a pause, which he finished in November 2000. With Sylvie Guillem, he produced two dance videos. Mats Ek is now working for various international dance theater, studied one of his choreographies and directs.
- Kalfaktorn ( after Georg Büchner's Wozzeck ) ( 1976)
- St. George and the Dragon (1976 )
- Bernarda ( original version Bernarda Hus, by Federico Garcia Lorca's House of Bernarda Alba ) ( 1978)
- Giselle (1982 )
- Le Sacre du printemps (1984 )
- Parking ( The Park ) ( 1987)
- Grasses ( grass) (1987 )
- Swan Lake ( 1987)
- Gamla barn ( Old Children) ( 1989)
- Carmen (1992)
- She was Black (she was black) (1995 )
- Rök (smoke) ( 1995) ( TV production, later stage version solo promote två - Solo for Two, 1996)
- Sleeping Beauty ( 1996)
- En slags ( a kind of ... ) (1997 )
- AJOE, based on the Piano Sonata, Op 111 by Ludwig van Beethoven, 2010 in Stockholm Dansens Hus with Sylvie Guillem.
- Julia och Romeo, choreography and staging in 2013, Royal Opera in Stockholm.
- 2000: Henrik Steffens Prize, Hamburg