Palais de Tokyo

The Palais de Tokyo is a French by the government and the city of Paris under the name Palais des Musées d' art moderne initiated and perfected by the architects Jean -Claude Dondel, André Aubert, Paul Viard and Marcel Dastugue in 1937 museums and exhibition building modern art on the right bank ( Rive Droite ) of the Seine in Paris (16th Arrdt. ). The neoclassical building is divided into two main wings that are connected in the middle by a courtyard with a three-sided portico. It was inaugurated on May 24, 1937 at the opening of the Paris Exhibition of French President Albert Lebrun. Name factor was the time running between the building and the Seine Avenue de Tokyo ( since 1945 Avenue de New York).


Owner of the east wing is the city of Paris, the Musée d'art moderne de la there since 1961 Ville de Paris entertains, while the west wing, the property of the French State, in 1947 the state's Musée National d' Art Moderne opened, until 1977 this moving to the Centre Georges Pompidou. After several reclassifications accommodates these wings, the actual " Palais de Tokyo", since 2002 the " Palais de Tokyo / Site de création contemporaine " said Centre for Contemporary Art.

The exhibitions of the " Palais de Tokyo / Site de la création contemporaine " are devoted to the latest trends of making art in a broader sense, in addition to art in all its forms, such as painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, video and design, fashion, literature and dance. Not only is the exhibition program is aimed at a young audience, but also the opening times to midnight.