The Place Dauphine on the western tip of the Ile de la Cité in the 1st arrondissement is one of the five royal courts of Paris.
Originally here were three small Schwemminseln the Seine ( l' île aux Juifs, l' île des Passeurs and l' îlot de la Gourdaine ). At this point, the Grand Master of the Knights Templar, Jacques de Molay was burned in 1314. During construction of the Pont Neuf (1578-1607) were the Schwemminseln with the Île de la Cité connected.
1607 Henry IV commissioned the President of Parliament Achille de Harlay with the installation of a triangular square in honor of the then successor of Louis XIII. It was after the Place des Vosges, the second royal court system of the 17th century in Paris. Originally, the triangular area was framed with 32 two-storey houses made of brick and white limestone blocks, in appearance quite similar to the houses of the square in the Marais.
In the following years many houses have been increased or demolished and replaced by new buildings, so that the uniform shape of the piazza was lost. Only the houses on the west end of the square have retained their original shape.
The revolutionaries could pass the deaths on their way from the Conciergerie to the scaffold the Pont Neuf, to indulge the condemned a last glimpse of the Seine.
The Cafe Du Terre- Plein on the Île de la Cité, the writer Restif de la Bretonne and Louis -Sébastien Mercier met for the revolutionary exchange of ideas.