From the town of Roman is 30 km
Pravets is located 30 km south of novel, Sofia is located 70 km south-west of the novel.
The Roman church is located in the southeastern part of Vratsa Oblast in northwestern Bulgaria. To the south it borders the oblasts of Pleven and Lovech, on the south by the Sofia Province City. The community cross to the west by the municipality Mezdra, the north by the municipality of Byala Slatina, on the east by the municipalities Tscherwen brjag, Lukowit and Yablanitsa and on the south by the municipalities of Pravets and Botevgrad.
The Roman City, located at 3512 inhabitants directly at the confluence of the Little Iskars in the Iskar, is the administrative center of the homonymous municipality. Roman is 150 meters above sea level. To the oblast center, the town of Vratsa 42 km westward, Mezdra there are 29 km to the west and the capital Sofia 120 km ( road ) or 109 km (railway) to the southwest.
The municipality comprises novel except the city still 12 villages: Dolna Beschowiza, Kameno Pole, Karasch, Kunino, Kurnowo, Markowo Rawnischte, Radowene, Sinjo Bardo, Sredni Council Stojanowzi, Strupez, Chubawene. The municipality comprises 8.3% of the area of the oblast. There are seven mayors and local representatives, 4 (something like secondary mayors ).
The city stands on the remains of an ancient settlement from the Bronze Age. For the first time the place was first mentioned in an Ottoman tax register ( Timar ) of 1430. The end of the Ottoman rule over the place came on 27 November 1877. The city's name is derived from the medieval Roman fortress. From the fortress today is almost nothing left. Since 1897 in a Roman station on the railway line Sofia - Varna, the central railway line in Northern Bulgaria. In the novel, a cell of the Bulgarian Socialist Workers' Party was founded in 1913. During the June coup on June 9, 1923, the station was occupied by a fascist group. The inhabitants of Roman participated in the anti-fascist struggle in the years 1941 to 1944.
The Roman church was founded by arrangement from 1 August 1934 as Headquarters Obschtina novel. The community center was raised Roman on September 4, 1974 on the city. It is the administrative and organizational center of the community. Roman lies approximately in the center of the village. There is a rail link to the capital Sofia. In the novel 50 % of the residents of the community live.
After the liberation of Bulgaria 1878 novel developed with the construction of the railway line Sofia - Varna quickly. Thus, the city became an important loading point for wood, cattle, wool and dairy products.
After deforestation, the stone processing and trading established as a new source of income. It opened workshops for wood processing, brick, distilleries, among others. It produced some industrial enterprises. The largest was a work for metal products (steel wire, steel wire, etc.), the large amounts of steel produced and the raw materials it moved from Kremikowski. The factory was founded in 1978 for metal products is now the company Metizi ( steel wires in steel cables ), the only producer of steel cables in Bulgaria.
Furthermore, a canning factory and a hydroelectric plant on the Iskar River originated.
The Egion Northwest Bulgaria has the lowest population, a total of 580,000 inhabitants in Bulgaria. Where this population focus on the municipalities of Vratsa, Vidin and Montana for the most part. The proportion of ethnic Turks is 0.3 % compared to the national average is very low, the proportion of the Sinti and Roma with 6.2% of the population of these Egion relatively high. The decrease in the population of the region is very high at 12.2 %.
Population development in novel:
This negative population growth poses for the North West Bulgaria a major problem, the population is aging.