Schlehdorf Abbey

The monastery Schlehdorf is now a convent of the Missionary Dominican Sisters of King William 's Town in South Africa.

It lies immediately south of Munich on the northern edge of the Bavarian Alps on Lake Kochel and is run by around 60 Missionary Dominican Sisters. On the monastery grounds there is next to a guest house and a monastery shop is also a girls secondary school of the diocese of Munich and Freising, to which the monastery is an exclave.


The St. Dionysius and later St. Tertulin consecrated monastery was 763/772 founded by the Huosi, a company based in the region noble family. Until the 10th century it was a Benedictine monastery, then a collegiate. From 1140 the Augustinian Canons, it was dissolved in 1803 in the wake of secularization. The collegiate church was built in 1773-1780 is the Munich architect Balthasar Trischberger attributed. The monastery was sold. Since 1904 Schlehdorf belongs to the Missionary Dominican Sisters of King William Town and is since 1960 the seat of the German Province.


The organ was built in 1783 by Franz Thoma ( 1745-1817 ) from Aitrang / Allgäu. Although it has been remodeled several times, including in 1877 by Max and March 1962 by Guido Nenninger as much original substance was left, that from 1997 to 2000 a restoration by the Munich organ building Johannes leader could be performed. The organ has 18 stops on two manuals and pedal.


The Schlehdorfer cross in the Holy Cross church with a life-size figure of Christ is built around the year 970, making it one of the oldest monumental crucifixes in Christendom.