The Sankt Nikolai kyrka (German: St. Nikolai church), often Storkyrkan (German: big church ) is the Cathedral of Stockholm within the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sweden and is located in Gamla Stan (Old Town ) near the Royal Palace. The entrance is in the west at Trångsund, the choir shows east to Slottsbacken, Palace Square. In the north the Storkyrkobrinken separates the church from the castle, in the south follows the churchyard the former stock exchange building, now Nobel Museum.
The the hl. Nicholas consecrated church was built according to tradition, by Birger Jarl, the founder of Stockholm, mid-13th century at the highest point of the island Stadsholmen. Anyway originate parts of the foundation of this period. The church is mentioned in a document for the first time then 1279th After major renovations and extensions in the 14th and 15th centuries it reached its present size and shape in 1480 as a five-aisled hall church. The Swedish reformer Olaus Petri was first preacher, then pastor of St. Nicholas, which was in 1527 made final for the Evangelical Lutheran Church. End of the 17th century it received its Baroque interior design and has been plastered. In 1908 removed to the plaster on the columns to return to return to the building its medieval character.
Here the Swedish kings were crowned, as the last king Oscar II on May 12, 1873. Gustav V. His successor ended in 1907 this tradition. The most recent royal wedding took place on 19 June 1976 by Carl XVI. Gustav and the German Silvia Sommerlath held in the church. Their daughter, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden also married in St. Nicholas Church on 19 June 2010, large media attention Daniel Westling.
1942, the Diocese of Stockholm was formed, the Nikolai Church was raised to cathedral. It is usually not referred to as Nikolai Church, but simply as Storkyrkan ( German United Church ). It is the parish church of the residents of Gamla Stan. After a reorganization in 1989 near the Klara Church and St. Jacob's Church were involved in the Cathedral parish, yet it has less than 3,000 church members. Since her elevation to the cathedral the following persons stood before:
As a pastor primarius:
The church was originally built in the style of brick Gothic of the 13th century with a tower. In the years 1736-42 was the still visible transformation as stucco building in Baroque style by the architect Johann Eberhard Carlberg, so that the church should harmonize in close proximity to the recently built castle. The church tower is 66 meters high and houses four bells, the largest of which weighs 4.5 tons.
1898 was erected the bronze statue of Olaus Petri by Theodor Lundberg front of the church at the Schlossplatz.
The homemade ebony altar is a triptych and is often referred to as the silver altar because of its silver reliefs. He has been paid to the middle of the 17th century by Johan Adler Salvius alderman and his wife the church. The central panel is from Germany, while the wings were made in Stockholm. After the picture of the Last Supper on the predella of the largest and lowest silver relief depicts the crucifixion of Christ between the statues of Moses and John the Baptist. Above them is the relief of the Entombment of Christ between the statues of Matthew and Mark, and finally the relief with the representation of the descent of Christ into hell between the statues of John and Luke. At the top of the altar the figure of the Risen Christ crowned the artwork. The window glass rosette above the silver altar is from Paris and mid-19th century was created.
The sculptural group of St.. George and the Dragon, made in 1489 from the Lübeck artist Bernt Notke on behalf of the Swedish regent Sten Sture in memory of the Battle of the Brunkeberg is undoubtedly the most spectacular art work of the Church. It was carved out of oak wood. The figure of George Sten Sture should symbolize the dragon the Danish king and the princess rescued the city of Stockholm. In 1912 a copy on the Köpmantorget, a small square in the old town of Stockholm southern, situated. A plaster cast of this colossal group is located in the Museum Church of St. Catherine in Lübeck.
The seven-branched candlestick of bronze is 3.7 meters high and was probably made in the 15th century in Germany.
In the north aisle is a monumental painting is related to the representation of the Last Judgment by David Klocker Ehrenstrahl from 1696, whose grave is also located in St. Nicholas' Church. It was originally created for the palace chapel, in 1777 but given the Nikolai Church.
In the nave there are two magnificent princess chairs, which are used as lodges exclusively of members of the royal family when they attend official ceremonies in the church. They were designed in 1684 by Nicodemus Tessin the Younger and executed by Burchard Precht in wood.
Also by sculptor Burchard Precht the pulpit is in the style of the French Baroque from the period around 1700. Among them is the grave of the Swedish reformer Olaus Petri plate.
On the wall of the south aisle the Vädersolstavlan called painting showing a spectacular addition to solar and halo phenomenon over Stockholm from 1535 on behalf of Olaus Petri depends. The tests to be sighted depiction of Stockholm is also the oldest surviving view of the city. The original image was lost, the exhibited paintings is a good copy from the 1630s by Jacob Henry Elbfas and has for the history of Stockholm importance.
The main organ in the west gallery consists of a rich historical ornate and gilded organ case, which was built in 1796, and an organ which has been built in 1960 by the Danish organ builder Marcussen & Son. The instrument has 53 stops on four manuals and pedal. Both the game, as well as the Registertrakturen are mechanical.
- Couplers: I / II, III / II, IV / II, I / P, II / P III / P IV / P